SubjectLinux 4.14-rc1
Yes, I realize this is a day early, and yes, I realize that if I had
waited until tomorrow, I would also have hit the 26th anniversary of
the Linux-0.01 release, but neither of those undeniable facts made me
want to wait with closing the mege window.

This has been an "interesting" merge window. It's not actually all
that unusual in size - I think it's shaping to be a pretty regular
release after 4.13 that was smallish. But unlike 4.13 it also wasn't a
completely smooth merge window, and honestly, I _really_ didn't want
to wait for any possible straggling pull requests.

Don't get me wrong - things don't look bad, but I hate it when I find
issues during the merge window that I feel should have been noticed
before the code made it to me, and it happened a few times this
release.

Admittedly, some of it was simply because we had some unusual
activity. For example, on the x86 VM side, 4.14 doesn't just have
_one_ new core memory management feature, but three: 5-level page
tables, ASID support (it's called "PCID" on x86 for reasons that are
not good) and the AMD memory encryption support. So the fact that we
had a few hiccups is very understandable, and in fact it should amaze
everybody just how smoothly the 5-level page table code integration
seems to have gone, for example.

So 4.14 is getting some very core new functionality.

Obviously, as usual, those kinds of core changes are absolutely
dwarfed by all the device driver updates, that as usual are the bulk
of the patches. This time around, particularly notable is a late
addition to the merge window - or rather, a late removal - in that
we've finally gotten rid of the firmware images from the kernel tree.
That's because people haven't used them for the last few years, since
there's a separate firmware image repository.

But there's changes all over. Documentation, architecture updates,
filesystems, networking, tooling. This was not a small release, even
if I had kind of expected that with much of Europe on vacation in
August we'd have seen a slow-down. Nope.

Anyway, as always, the shortlog is much too big to post, so appended
is the "mergelog", and as always the credit in the merge log goes not
to who wrote the patches, but to the maintainer who actually sent it
to me for merging. So there's about 90 maintainers mentioned there,
but it should be noted that we have 1500+ individual authors for the
11,500+ individual non-merge commits. So this is very much just a very
high-level overview of the merges I've done, and if you want to see
details, you'll need to go look at the git tree logs.

Linus

---

Al Viro (6):
misc fixes
ipc compat cleanup and 64-bit time_t
more set_fs removal
mount flag updates
nowait read support
misc leftovers

Alex Williamson (1):
VFIO updates

Alexandre Belloni (1):
RTC updates

Andrew Morton (3):
updates
more updates
misc fixes

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz (1):
fbdev updates

Ben LaHaise (1):
aio fix

Bjorn Andersson (2):
remoteproc updates
rpmsg updates

Bjorn Helgaas (2):
PCI updates
PCI fix

Bob Peterson (1):
GFS2 updates

Boris Brezillon (1):
MTD updates

Borislav Petkov (1):
EDAC updates

Bruce Fields (1):
nfsd updates

Catalin Marinas (1):
arm64 updates

Chris Mason (1):
zstd support

Christoph Hellwig (2):
uuid updates
dma-mapping updates

Dan Williams (1):
libnvdimm

Darren Hart (1):
x86 platform driver updates

Darrick Wong (1):
XFS updates

Dave Airlie (2):
drm updates
drm AMD fixes

David Miller (4):
networking updates
networking fixes
sparc updates
networking fixes

David Sterba (1):
btrfs updates

David Teigland (1):
dlm updates

Dmitry Torokhov (2):
input updates
more input updates

Doug Ledford (1):
rdma updates

Eric Biederman (1):
namespace updates

Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
m68k updates

Greg KH (6):
USB/PHY driver updates
tty/serial updates
staging/IIO driver updates
driver core update
char/misc driver updates
firmware removal

Greg Ungerer (1):
m68knommu updates

Guenter Roeck (1):
hwmon updates

Helge Deller (1):
parisc updates

Herbert Xu (1):
crypto updates

Ilya Dryomov (1):
ceph updates

Ingo Molnar (24):
debugobjects fix
perf updates
RAS fix
RCU updates
scheduler updates
x86 asm updates
x86 boot updates
x86 build updates
x86 cpuid updates
x86 debug updates
x86 microcode loading updates
x86 spinlock update
syscall updates
locking updates
x86 mm changes
x86 platform updates
EFI updates
irq fixes
perf tooling updates
scheduler fixes
x86 fixes
x86 fixes
scheduler fixes
perf fixes

Jacek Anaszewski (1):
LED updates

Jaegeuk Kim (1):
f2fs updates

James Bottomley (2):
SCSI updates
SCSI fixes

Jan Kara (2):
UDF, reiserfs, quota, fsnotify cleanups
quota scaling updates

Jassi Brar (1):
mailbox updates

Jean Delvare (1):
dmi update

Jeff Layton (2):
file locking updates
writeback error handling updates

Jens Axboe (3):
block layer updates
followup block layer updates
block fixes

Jessica Yu (1):
modules updates

Jiri Kosina (1):
HID update

Joerg Roedel (1):
IOMMU updates

Jonathan Corbet (2):
documentation updates
documentation fixes

Juergen Gross (1):
xen updates

Kees Cook (3):
pstore update
gcc plugins update
secureexec update

Lee Jones (2):
MFD updates
backlight updates

Ley Foon Tan (1):
arch/nios2 update

Linus Walleij (3):
pin control updates
GPIO updates
pin control fixes

Marcel Holtmann (1):
bluetooth fix

Mark Brown (2):
spi updates
regulator updates

Martin Schwidefsky (2):
s390 updates
more s390 updates

Masahiro Yamada (1):
Kbuild updates

Matt Turner (1):
alpha updates

Mauro Carvalho Chehab (1):
media updates

Michael Ellerman (2):
powerpc updates
powerpc fix

Mike Marshall (1):
orangefs updates

Mike Snitzer (1):
device mapper updates

Miklos Szeredi (2):
overlayfs updates
fuse updates

Olof Johansson (3):
ARM/arm64 SoC platform updates
ARM SoC driver updates
ARM/arm64 Devicetree updates

Paolo Bonzini (1):
more KVM updates

Paul Moore (2):
audit updates
selinux updates

Petr Mladek (1):
printk updates

Radim Krčmář (1):
KVM updates

Rafael Wysocki (3):
power management updates
ACPI updates
device properties framework updates

Ralf Baechle (1):
MIPS updates

Richard Weinberger (2):
UML updates
UBI updates

Rob Herring (1):
DeviceTree updates

Rodrigo Vivi (1):
i916 drm fixes

Russell King (1):
ARM updates

Sebastian Reichel (1):
power supply and reset changes

Shaohua Li (1):
MD updates

Shuah Khan (1):
kselftest updates

Stafford Horne (1):
OpenRISC fixlet

Stephen Boyd (1):
clk updates

Steve French (1):
cifs update

Steven Rostedt (1):
tracing updates

Takashi Iwai (2):
sound updates
sound fixes

Ted Ts'o (1):
ext4 updates

Tejun Heo (4):
percpu updates
workqueue updates
cgroup updates
libata updates

Thierry Reding (1):
pwm updates

Thomas Gleixner (5):
timer fixes
irq updates
CPU hotplug fix
x86 cache quality monitoring update
x86 apic updates

Trond Myklebust (2):
NFS client updates
more NFS client updates

Ulf Hansson (1):
MMC updates

Vineet Gupta (1):
ARC updates

Vinod Koul (1):
dmaengine updates

Wim Van Sebroeck (1):
watchdog updates

Wolfram Sang (2):
i2c updates
more i2c updates

Zhang Rui (1):
thermal updates

  Last update: 2017-09-17 01:44    [W:0.043 / U:0.072 seconds]