SubjectRe: RFC: Revert move default dialect from CIFS to to SMB3
On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 7:16 PM, Steve French <smfrench@gmail.com> wrote:

> The default was SMB1 (CIFS) and was recently changed to SMB3.
> The dialect still can be overridden by specifying "vers=1.0" or "vers=2.1"
> etc. on mount.
>
> We just put together a patch to better explain the default changes
> (with additional warning messages) as suggested.
>
> SMB3 is significantly better than SMB2.1 (supporting encrypted shares
> and sessions for example, and requiring support for "secure negotiate")
> and some servers require SMB3 minimum as a result,

The default shouldn't be about "best and most secure", but "most
convenient, while still not actively *IN*secure"

So "some servers require 3.0" may be true, but if it's also the case
that "most servers still don't do 3.0 at all", then it's a "some" vs
"most".

Which is the most common one? That should be the default.

I realize that eventually we'll have auto-negotiation, but that's
clearly not for 4.13. So in the meantime the only issue is what the
right default should be without auto-negotiation.

So it should be about what the failure rate is. If trying for smb3 has
a high failure rate because people simply don't have that yet, then
making that the default was clearly the wrong choice.

Because being "better" is immaterial if it doesn't work.

Linus

  Last update: 2017-09-02 05:57    [W:0.088 / U:0.068 seconds]