SubjectRe: [RFC 1/3] dt-bindings: rtc: Add Realtek RTD1295
> Thanks. Did you read the RFC question in the cover letter as well and
> have any comments? Downstream has an rtc-base-year = <2014>; property
> that I had left out in this RFC and due to your ack not included in v2.
>
> Should we default to 2014 in the driver and add an optional base-year
> property once we encounter a diverging device, or should we make it
> required from the beginning? I did not spot any other rtc binding with
> such a property and would appreciate a clarification.

Hi Andreas

From the perspective of the hardware, does it care what the base is?

A device using a different base will initially return the wrong
time. But once the correct time has been written back, it will be O.K.

This only becomes an issue if a device is used with different OSs,
which have different bases. Swapping back and forth between OSs then
becomes an issue.

KISS suggests not having a base in DT until it is actually
required. Since it is an additional property, it does not break
backwards compatibility when added.

Andrew

  Last update: 2017-08-27 15:48    [W:0.062 / U:1.268 seconds]