lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2017]   [Aug]   [24]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
SubjectRe: Do we really need d_weak_revalidate???
From
Date
On 24/08/17 19:03, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> On 24 August 2017 at 06:07, NeilBrown <neilb@suse.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 23 2017, Ian Kent wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> That inconsistency has bothered me for quite a while now.
>>>
>>> It was carried over from the autofs module behavior when automounting
>>> support was added to the VFS. What's worse is it prevents the use of
>>> the AT_NO_AUTOMOUNT flag from working properly with fstatat(2) and with
>>> statx().
>>>
>>> There is some risk in changing that so it does work but it really does
>>> need to work to enable userspace to not trigger an automount by using
>>> this flag.
>>>
>>> So that's (hopefully) going to change soonish, see:
>>> http://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmotm/broken-out/autofs-fix-at_no_automount-not-being-honored.patch
>>>
>>> The result should be that stat family calls don't trigger automounts except
>>> for fstatat(2) and statx() which will require the AT_NO_AUTOMOUNT flag.
>>>
>>
>> oooh, yes. That's much better - thanks.
>>
>> We should make sure that change gets into the man pages...
>>
>> First however, we should probably correct the man page!
>> stat.2 says:
>>
>>
>> NOTES
>> On Linux, lstat() will generally not trigger automounter
>> action, whereas stat() will (but see the description of
>> fstatat() AT_NO_AUTOMOUNT fag, above).
>>
>> which is wrong: lstat and stat treat automounts the same.
>> @Michael: do you recall why you inserted that text? The commit message
>> in commit 1ef5b2805471 ("stat.2: Cosmetic reworking of timestamp
>> discussion in NOTES") is not very helpful.
>
> That commit really was just cosmetic changes. The change that
> introduced the text was 82d2be3d9d66b7, based on a note from Peter
> Anvin:

Indeed, that was correct for autofs v3 but we're at autofs v5 now and
a lot has changed over time (the commit is from 2008).

All I can do is apologize for not also checking the man pages and trying
to keep them up to date.

Let's just work on making them accurate now.

>
> [[
> > > Additionally, you may want to make a note in the stat/lstat man page tha
> t on
> > > Linux, lstat(2) will generally not trigger automounter action, whereas
> > > stat(2) will.
> >
> > I don't understand this last piece. Can you say some more. (I'm not
> > familiar with automounter details.)
>
> An automounter (either an explicit one, like autofs, or an implicit
> one, such as are used by AFS or NFSv4) is something that triggers
> a mount when something is touched.
>
> However, it's undesirable to automount, say, everyone's home
> directory just because someone opened up /home in their GUI
> browser or typed "ls -l /home". The early automounters simply
> didn't list the contents until you accessed it by name;
> this is still the case when you can't enumerate a mapping
> (say, all DNS names under /net). However, this is extremely
> inconvenient, too.
>
> The solution we ended up settling on is to create something
> that looks like a directory (i.e. reports S_IFDIR in stat()),
> but behaves somewhat like a symlink. In particular, when it is
> accessed in a way where a symlink would be dereferenced,
> the automount triggers and the directory is mounted. However,
> system calls which do *not* cause a symlink to be dereferenced,
> like lstat(), also do not cause the automounter to trigger.
> This means that "ls -l", or a GUI file browser, can see a list
> of directories without causing each one of them to be automounted.
>
> -hpa
> ]]
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael
>
>> I propose correcting to
>>
>> NOTES:
>> On Linux, lstat() nor stat() act as though AT_NO_AUTOMOUNT was set
>> and will not trigger automounter action for direct automount
>> points, though they may (prior to 4.14) for indirect automount
>> points.
>>
>>
>> The more precise details, that automount action for indirect automount
>> points is not triggered when the 'browse' option is used, is probably
>> not necessary.
>>
>> Ian: if you agree with that text, and Michael doesn't provide alternate
>> evidence, I'll submit a formal patch for the man page.... or should we
>> just wait until the patch actually lands?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> NeilBrown
>>
>
>
>

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2017-08-25 02:06    [W:0.125 / U:14.296 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site