SubjectRe: PWM backlight initial state assumptions, or how pwm_bl killed my (nyan) cat^W backlight support
On Wed, 2017-07-05 at 14:47 +0300, Paul Kocialkowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2017-07-05 at 13:07 +0200, Philipp Zabel wrote:
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > On Wed, 2017-07-05 at 13:41 +0300, Paul Kocialkowski wrote:
> > > Hey,

> > > The offending commit here is d1b81294575098d989be1f2f6bb628091ceaa87b,
> > > that
> > > added a check on the intial PWM state.
> > >
> > > The policy I'm describing was introduced with
> > > 3698d7e7d221a5c90d4b55e96d0c8f98a8b4d7df which did not break my use case
> > > at
> > > this
> > > point. It will still disable the driver if the regulator was not enabled
> > > already, which I think is not desirable. The policy on the initial GPIO
> > > state is
> > > also quite disputable.
> >
> > Some panels have a documented powerup sequence, which usually ends with
> > the backlight being enabled to avoid showing garbage before the panel is
> > initialized completely.
> > The reason for 3698d7e7d221 was a device with the display disabled out
> > of the bootloader, where the backlight is controlled by the simple-panel
> > driver. Enabling the backlight from the backlight driver before the
> > panel driver requests the backlight to be enabled (before the panel is
> > powered) would result in a white flash during boot.
> >
> > I tried to be careful to only let the backlight driver set the initial
> > state to disabled if a few conditions are met: the GPIO is already
> > configured as output and disabled, and the backlight device tree node
> > has a phandle pointing to it, so we can expect there to be some
> > controlling instance that will enable it when appropriate.
> >
> > I wonder why in your case there is a phandle link to the backlight node
> > but nothing actually enables the backlight during boot. I would expect
> > that to be handled by the panel driver.
>
> I had completely missed the fact that the panel driver is supposed to request
> backlight enable! With that in mind, this policy no longer concerns "the whole
> lifetime of the driver" but only the timeframe between backlight probe and
> panel
> probe. Thanks for clarifying this. I suppose I agree with this policy now.
>
> So remains the question: why does the panel not enable backlight on my device?
>
> I will investigate this later today. Hopefully, the probe defer logic should
> prevent a case where the panel is probed (to the end) before the backlight
> driver.

This is actually due to the tegra drm driver not probing. It is happening on my
setup (with a somewhat custom, out-of-tree config) on both jetson-tk1 and
nyan_big, but also on kernelci, running both tegra_defconfig and
multi_v7_defconfig.

Since this is no longer a concern related to the pwm backlight driver, I will
start a new thread with the relevant addresses in CC.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, developer of free digital technology and hardware support

Website: https://www.paulk.fr/
Coding blog: https://code.paulk.fr/
Git repositories: https://git.paulk.fr/ https://git.code.paulk.fr/

  Last update: 2017-07-06 14:41    [W:0.069 / U:0.344 seconds]