SubjectRe: perf script: Question: Python trace processing script contains the tid of the process in the common_pid attribute
I wasn't entirely sure if we should modify the signature of the python
hooks_ as this would make existing scripts incompatible. So the patch
only adds sample->pid to the event_fields_dict param in
trace_unhandled().

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 12:26 PM, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
<acme@kernel.org> wrote:
> Em Wed, Jul 05, 2017 at 04:25:45PM -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo escreveu:
>> Em Wed, Jul 05, 2017 at 09:22:07AM -0700, Arun Kalyanasundaram escreveu:
>> > Hi Arnaldo,
>> >
>> > Thank you for your reply.
>> > I actually meant tracepoint event handlers: def
>> > trace_unhandled(event_name, context, event_fields_dict)
>> > The dict parameter contains an attribute "common_pid" which is
>> > actually the "tid" of the thread. There are no other attributes that
>> > contain the actual pid of the process. So, I was wondering if this is
>> > something intentional? If not I can share a patch to fix this.
>>
>> Yeah there is a problem in:
>>
>> tools/perf/util/scripting-engines/trace-event-python.c
>>
>> static void python_process_event(union perf_event *event,
>> struct perf_sample *sample,
>> struct perf_evsel *evsel,
>> struct addr_location *al)
>> {
>> struct tables *tables = &tables_global;
>>
>> switch (evsel->attr.type) {
>> case PERF_TYPE_TRACEPOINT:
>> python_process_tracepoint(sample, evsel, al);
>> break;
>> /* Reserve for future process_hw/sw/raw APIs */
>> default:
>> if (tables->db_export_mode)
>> db_export__sample(&tables->dbe, event, sample, evsel, al);
>> else
>> python_process_general_event(sample, evsel, al);
>> }
>> }
>>
>> The python_process_tracepoint() thing predates
>> python_process_general_event(), and doesn't adds the dict with all the
>> perf_sample entries that python_process_general_event() passes to the
>> python method :-\
>>
>> Both the per-tracepoint python hooks _and_ trace_unhandled() should get
>> that dict, is that what your patch does?
>
> Well, for performance reasons I think perhaps we could take a look at
> the signature of the python hook and provide the dictionary only if it
> is in it?
>
> - Arnaldo

  Last update: 2017-07-05 22:41    [W:0.053 / U:0.780 seconds]