SubjectRe: [RFC 0/2] arm-smmu-v3 tlbi-on-map option
Hi Will, Michael,

On 12/07/2017 19:54, Will Deacon wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> On Sun, Jul 09, 2017 at 05:15:01PM +0200, Eric Auger wrote:
>> This series adds a new tlbi-on-map option to the smmuv3 driver.
>> When set, the IO_PGTABLE_QUIRK_TLBI_ON_MAP quirk is applied for
>> LPAE tables and the smmuv3 driver sends TLB invalidations on map.
>>
>> This mode is useful when running the driver on a guest as it allows
>> the virtualizer to trap any change to the translation structures.
>> This is similar to the Intel vtd caching mode (CM).
>>
>> This is especially needed for VFIO integration integration where
>> guest mappings must be applied to the physical IOMMU.
>>
>> At the moment the option only is available for DT probing.
>
> I'm really not a fan of this approach. If a virtual IOMMU implementation is
> advertising itself as an SMMUv3, then it should adhere to the SMMUv3
> architecture and not require non-standard behaviour from the driver. If
> we're going to allow that, then we're better off going the extra mile and
> using a PV approach. Given that the the SMMU3 architecture does *not*
> require TLBI on map, then I don't think we should be quirking our behaviour
> in this way. The fact that you only have this implemented for DT is the
> canary in the coal mine imo.

I did not proceed with ACPI integration as I focused on the QEMU
integration POC instead. I intended to propose a new model id just like

12275bf iommu/arm-smmu-v3, acpi: Add temporary Cavium SMMU-V3 IORT
model number definitions?

Is it really costly to maintain such a quirk (which by the way does the
same thing as Intel caching mode, unfortunately not in an HW specified
manner) compared to other quirks?

Having an smmu emulated device integrated with vfio can always be useful
for debugging purpose and also to compare perfs/functionality against
virtio-iommu solution. We said both solutions could co-exist, serving
different purposes. Now if you close the door to vfio integration,
emulated smmu just serves the purpose of guests using isolated virtio
devices which limits quite a lot its usage, somehow questioning the
efforts invested to develop/upstream it.

Besides, before any further decision, I need to complete the DPDK use
case enablement as I get a storm of page tlbi's although hugepages are
used. And this hasn't worked yet ...

Thanks

Eric

> Will

  Last update: 2017-07-26 16:42    [W:0.078 / U:1.892 seconds]