SubjectRe: Is it possible to use ftrace to measure secondary CPU bootup time
On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 13:46:07 +0800
"Huang\, Ying" <ying.huang@intel.com> wrote:

> Hi, Steven,
>
> We are working on parallelizing secondary CPU bootup. So we need to
> measure the bootup time of secondary CPU, that is, measure time spent in
> smp_init() and its callees. But we found that ftrace now doesn't
> support measure time spent in smp_init() because it is called too early
> (before core_initcall()?). So, do you think it is possible to use
> ftrace to measure secondary CPU bootup time?

One could trace with function tracing that early, but that wont give
you the timings you are looking for. The best it probably could do is
to look at the function timestamps of what is called after smp_init.
That is, trace smp_init() and sched_init_smp() and take the difference.

Function graph tracing (which is what you are probably looking for) is
much more heavy weight than function tracing. It requires some setup
that isn't ready that early. Although, I'm sure I can work to get it
there, but it's not trivial.

-- Steve

  Last update: 2017-07-24 11:17    [W:0.056 / U:0.040 seconds]