Linus,

> So I personally tend to much prefer
>
> drivers/i2c/core/acpi.c
> drivers/i2c/core/base.c
> drivers/i2c/core/of.c
> drivers/i2c/core/slave.c
> drivers/i2c/core/smbus.c
> drivers/i2c/core/core.h
>
> as the model. Then things *really* sort together, auto-complete works
> better, and tools like "git diff --dirstat" etc that group changes by
> directories also automatically just do the right thing.
>
> And notice how the filenames are smaller and prettier too? It's just a
> win/win situation.

I am easily convinced by these benefits, thanks for pointing them out.
There was one request from distributions, though, when we once tried to
refactor only ACPI out back then (which we had to revert because of this
request): keep the module name constant. Given that, I am going to take
some middle path and rename like this:

drivers/i2c/acpi.c
drivers/i2c/base.c
drivers/i2c/of.c
drivers/i2c/slave.c
drivers/i2c/smbus.c
drivers/i2c/core.h

and keep the resulting object name 'i2c-core.o'. That implies that the
root directory of 'i2c' will be core only. I think this is fair.

Will implement it hopefully today and send you a pull request ASAP.

Thanks,

Wolfram

  Last update: 2017-07-13 12:03    [W:0.092 / U:0.136 seconds]