On 2017-06-22 08:36, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 11:40:52AM +0200, Peter Rosin wrote:

>>> Removing drm_fb_helper_save_lut_atomic should be a separate patch I
>>> think.
>>
>> Then 3 patches would be needed, first some hybrid thing that does it the
>> old way, but also stores the lut in .gamma_store, then the split-out that
>> removes drm_fb_helper_save_lut_atomic, then whatever is needed to get
>> to the desired code. I can certainly do that, but do you want me to?
>
> Explain that in the commit message and it's fine.

I did the split in v2, I assume that's ok too. Better in case anyone ever
needs to run a bisect on this...

>>> It's a pre-existing bug, but should we also try to restore the fbdev lut
>>> in drm_fb_helper_restore_fbdev_mode_unlocked()? Would be yet another bug,
>>> but might be relevant for your use-case. Just try to run both an fbdev
>>> application and some kms-native thing, and then SIGKILL the native kms
>>> app.
>>>
>>> But since pre-existing not really required, and probably too much effort.
>>
>> Good thing too, because I don't really know my way around this code...
>
> Btw I cc'ed you on one of my patches in the fbdev locking series, we might
> need to do the same legacy vs. atomic split for the new lut code as I did
> for dpms. The rule with atomic is that you can't do multiple commits under
> drm_modeset_lock_all, you either have to do one overall atomic commit
> (preferred) or drop&reacquire locks again. This matters for LUT since
> you're updating the LUT on all CRTCs, which when using the gamma_set
> atomic helper would be multiple commits :-/

Ahh, ok, I see the problem.

> Using the dpms patch as template it shouldn't be too hard to address that
> for your patch here too.

Hmm, in that patch you handle the legacy case in a separate function, and
doing that for the lut case looks difficult when the atomic commit happens
inside the helper (typically drm_atomic_helper_legacy_gamma_set which
could perhaps be handled, but a real drag to handle for drivers that have
a custom crtc .gamma_set).

So, I'm aiming for the drop&reacquire approach...

However, I don't have all of that series, and I suspect that is why I do
not have any fb_helper->lock.

I'll send my best guess as a follow-up to patch 3/14 in v2.

Cheers,
peda

  Last update: 2017-06-22 20:01    [W:1.177 / U:0.176 seconds]