SubjectRe: new ...at() flag: AT_NO_JUMPS
Date

On 05/05/2017 22:28, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Al Viro <viro@ZenIV.linux.org.uk> writes:

>>> I think you're right.
>>>
>>> I guess it would be safe for the RCU case due to the sequence number
>>> check, but not the non-RCU case.
>>
>> Yes and no... FWIW, to exclude that it would suffice to have
>> mount --rbind /src/www/example.org/foo /srv/www/example.org/foo done first.
>> Then this kind of race will end up with -ENOENT due to path_connected()
>> logics in follow_dotdot_rcu()/follow_dotdot(). I'm not sure about the
>> intended applications, though - is that thing supposed to be used along with
>> some horror like seccomp, or...?
>
> As I recall the general idea is that if you have an application like a
> tftp server or a web server that gets a path from a possibly dubious
> source. Instead of implementing an error prone validation logic in
> userspace you can use AT_BENEATH and be certain the path resolution
> stays in bounds.
>
> As you can do stronger things as root this seems mostly targeted at
> non-root applications.
>
> I seem to recall part of the idea was to sometimes pair this to seccomp
> to be certain your application can't escape a sandbox. That plays to
> seccomp limitations that it can inspect flags as they reside in
> registers but seccomp can't follow pointers.

Here is the code and tests from David Drysdale:
https://github.com/google/capsicum-linux/commits/openat-v2
...and the latest patch: https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/3/9/407
The O_BENEATH flag have also been discussed for FreeBSD to support Capsicum.

> Which all suggests that we would want something similar to is_subdir
> when AT_BENEATH is specified that we check every time we follow ..
> that would verify that on the same filesystem we stay below and
> that we also stay on a mount that is below. mount --move has
> all of the same challenges for enforcing you stay within bounds
> as rename does.

FYI, I'm working on a new LSM [1] to work around the limitations of
seccomp-bpf, especially the pointer checks. The idea is to enable some
filtering as seccomp-bpf can do but instead of checking at the syscall
level, Landlock take advantage of LSM hooks. I had a first PoC of an
eBPF function and map type to check if a file was beneath another [2]. I
plan to create a new one that record a "snapshot" of the current mount
tree into an eBPF map to be able to check if a file is beneath or a
parent of another one.

[1] https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20170328234650.19695-1-mic@digikod.net
[2] https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20161026065654.19166-9-mic@digikod.net

  Last update: 2017-05-10 21:16    [W:0.436 / U:0.004 seconds]