SubjectRe: Large latency on blk_queue_enter
On 05/08/2017 08:46 AM, Javier González wrote:

>>> No lockdep, KASAN, kmemleak or any of the other usual suspects.
>>>
>>> What's interesting is that it only happens when one of the I/Os comes
>>> from user space through the ioctl. If I have several pblk instances on
>>> the same device (which would end up allocating a new request in
>>> parallel, potentially on the same core), the latency spike does not
>>> trigger.
>>>
>>> I also tried to bind the read thread and the liblightnvm thread issuing
>>> the ioctl to different cores, but it does not help...
>>
>> How do I reproduce this? Off the top of my head, and looking at the code,
>> I have no idea what is going on here.
>
> Using LightNVM and liblightnvm [1] you can reproduce it by:
>
> 1. Instantiate a pblk instance on the first channel (luns 0 - 7):
> sudo nvme lnvm create -d nvme0n1 -n test0 -t pblk -b 0 -e 7 -f
> 2. Write 5GB to the test0 block device with a normal fio script
> 3. Read 5GB to verify that latencies are good (max. ~80-90us at bs=4k, qd=1)
> 4. Re-run 3. and in parallel send a command through liblightnvm to a
> different channel. A simple command is an erase (erase block 900 on
> channel 2, lun 0):
> sudo nvm_vblk line_erase /dev/nvme0n1 2 2 0 0 900
>
> After 4. you should see a ~25-30ms latency on the read workload.
>
> I tried to reproduce the ioctl in a more generic way to reach
> __nvme_submit_user_cmd(), but SPDK steals the whole device. Also, qemu
> is not reliable for this kind of performance testing.
>
> If you have a suggestion on how I can mix an ioctl with normal block I/O
> read on a standard NVMe device, I'm happy to try it and see if I can
> reproduce the issue.

Just to rule out this being any hardware related delays in processing
IO:

1) Does it reproduce with a simpler command, anything close to a no-op
that you can test?
2) What did you use to time the stall being blk_queue_enter()?

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2017-05-08 16:53    [W:0.070 / U:1.800 seconds]