SubjectRe: Documenting sigaltstack SS_AUTODISRM
Hello Stas,

On 23 May 2017 at 13:03, Stas Sergeev <stsp@list.ru> wrote:
> 23.05.2017 13:35, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) пишет:
>>
>> Hello Stas,
>
> Hi. :)
>

>>> Because I don't think we broke the existing code, or did we?
>>
>> Probably not, but it seems to me that there is some small
>> possibility that library code that makes use of sigaltstack()
>> to test whether a signal is being handled on an alternate signal
>> stack, unaware that the main program employed SS_AUTODISARM,
>> could be confused/broken. I've no idea how likely this scenario
>> is though. (I imagine it's rather unlikely.)
>
> OK, so the original problem was that to get the
> more consistent checks, you'd need to keep alt
> stack still set up but disarmed, while inside the
> sighandler. If someone uses siglongjmp() at that
> point, then it will be left dangling. Likely there are
> ways around this, but nothing simple that I could
> think of.

Okay.

>>> and posix seems to allow any
>>> other value for enable, which can be (on linux) SS_ONSTACK,
>>> not only 0.
>>
>> Yes, long ago someone got confused, as I've noted in a recently added
>> BUGS section in the page:
>
> But my understanding differs.
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/sigaltstack.html
> ---
> The /ss_flags/ member specifies the new stack state.
> If it is set to SS_DISABLE, the stack is disabled and /ss_sp/
> and /ss_size/ are ignored. Otherwise, the stack shall be enabled
> ---
>
> As you can see, it doesn't say "SS_DISABLE or 0 are
> only possible values". It does not even mention 0 at all
> as being a possible or suggested value, it only uses it in
> an example.
> So what you call a confusion, looks valid to me, according
> to the above spec.

I think this is a misreading of the spec. The spec is saying that

(ss_flags & SS_DISABLE) != 0

means disable the stack and

(ss_flags & SS_DISABLE) == 0

means disable the stack.

POSIX.1 make no statement about the use of SS_ONSTACK to enable the
stack. And as far as I know, no other implementation attaches meaning
to SS_ONSTACK when establishing a signal stack. Some systems' man
pages are loosely worded in the manner of POSIX, but others are quite
explicit, with Solaris 8 and Irix 6.5 containing text such as the
following:

If ss is not NULL, it points to a structure specifying the
alternate
signal stack that will take effect upon return from sigaltstack. [...]
The ss_flags field specifies the new stack state and may be set
to the following:

SS_DISABLE The stack is to be disabled and ss_sp and ss_size are
ignored. If SS_DISABLE is not set, the stack will be
enabled.

The strong implication there is that no value other than SS_DISABLE is
meaningful in ss.ss_flags. No other man page that I could find (and I
have quite a collection) suggested the (ss.ss_flags == SSONSTACK) is
meaningful.

> Moreover, I use it in a real-life code,
> and it would be interesting to know how many other people
> do the same. If its just me, its one thing, but if it is a common
> practice, then perhaps this part of a man page should be
> reconsidered.

By "use it" I presume you mean (ss.ss_flags == SS_ONSTACK).

Sure, you can use it on Linux, but it's a no-op there. And I just went
to check the Illumos source (which presumably mirrors its Solaris
ancestry), and there is this check in the sigaltstack()
implementation:

if (ss.ss_flags & ~SS_DISABLE)
return (set_errno(EINVAL));

And in the FreeBSD source we find similar:

if ((ss->ss_flags & ~SS_DISABLE) != 0)
return (EINVAL);

So, using SS_ONSTACK on Linux is a no-op that decreases code
portability. (And I am supposing that you use (ss.ss_flags ==
SS_ONSTACK) only because you've been misled into thinking its
legitimate from reading the kernel source.)

>>> And SS_AUTODISARM can be ORed with the value.

>>> My memory may be wrong here, but I think setting
>>> up another alt stack was not supposed because the
>>> previous settings would be restored upon sighandler
>>> return. AFAIK I was trying to make up a proposal to
>>> get such attempts explicitly blocked rather than
>>> silently ignored, but again the simplicity was chosen.
>>
>> So, I've done only limited experimentation here, but this is what
>> I see in one experiment:
>>
>> [[
>> * Set up two handlers for SIGX and SIGY, both using SA_ONSTACK.
>> * Establish alternate SS (1) using SS_AUTODISARM
>> [SIGA is delivered]
>>
>> * Handler for SIGA is called and handler is executed on alternate SS 1.
>> * The handler establishes a new alternate SS (2) with SS_AUTODISARM.
>>
>> [SIGB is delivered]
>>
>> * Handler for SIGB is called and handler is executed on alternate SS 2.
>> * Handler for SIGB returns
>>
>> [SIGB is delivered]
>>
>> * Handler for SIGB is called and handler is executed on alternate SS 2.
>> * Handler for SIGB returns
>> * Handler of SIGA returns
>
> At this point the alt stack is set back to SS1,
> undoing the effect of the just-done sigaltstack()
> call.

(Yes.)

>> [SIGA is delivered]
>>
>> * Handler for SIGA is called and handler is executed on alternate SS 1.
>> ]]

> Only if you deliver SIGB while still inside SIGA handler,
> which is a bit unusual. Certainly not worth calling this
> "works" IMHO. The fact that this will be undone at SIGA
> exit, is much more confusing to the user, so I'd say just
> don't do that.

I agree that it is an unusual scenario. But, user-space programmers
outnumber kernel developers 10000 to 1, and over time they will find
every possible way to creatively use an API if it "works for them".
[1]

> There IS a way to set a new alt stack while inside SIGA,
> and I use that in a real-life code. It is to write the new
> values to uc_stack. If you do this, the new settings will
> be activated at the return from SIGA handler. Maybe
> you can mention this possibility instead.
>
>> API history is littered with stories where users found out that
>> something unforeseen "worked", and so they used it. The question
>> is: what can go wrong if people do try using this "feature"?
>
> It will disappear at the exit from SIGA.
> To me this is "wrong enough" to not suggest doing so.

See my comment above. It's weird because it will disappear at exit
from SIGA, but not "wrong". And it would not surprise me if one day
someone decided they had a use for it. (And the "don't document it" or
even "warn people in the documentation that they should not do it"
will not stop some intrepid souls from tying it.)

>>> Initially this flag was supposed to be ORed with
>>> the old values. Your descrition is correct, but if
>>> more bit flags are added, this may became a
>>> problem, as you are always treating it as a separate
>>> value, not a bit flag.
>>
>> Thanks for the confirmation.
>>
>> At the end of this mail is a test program that I used to experiment
>> with this stuff. Here's a sample run that demonstrates the scenario
>> described above:
>
> The kernel already has the sigaltstack test-case,
> so maybe you can add some checks to it from your
> test-case.

I must admit I'm still trying to grasp some details of what's
possible. What tests do you think could be usefully added?

Cheers,

Michael

[1] I mean, people are always aghast when I explain the existence of
libsigsegv and most people are surprised to learn that a file
permissions mask such as rw----r-- is actually used by some
applications to deny access to a group. I don't suppose either notion
was in the mind of the original UNIX kernel developers.

--
Michael Kerrisk

  Last update: 2017-05-23 14:27    [W:0.103 / U:1.612 seconds]