SubjectRe: [V2, 2/6] tty: serial: lpuart: add little endian 32 bit register support
Hi,

>>> It looks to me having the same issue with a separate write patch
>>> for earlycon as we still need distinguish Little or Big endian
>>> for Layerscape and IMX.

>>> Would you please show some sample code?
>>
>> Do not reuse lpuart32_console_putchar() in earlycon code.
>>
>> Have two sets of early_setup/early_write/putchar - for BE and
>> defaut-endian earlycon. And in these putchar's do not use
>> lpuart_(read|write).
>>

> Isn't that introducing another consistency break after fix one
> consistency break?
>
> If doing that, we then have two register read/write APIs.
> One for normal driver operation by dynamically checking lpuart_is_be
> property to distinguish the endian difference problem.
> Another is specifically implemented for only early console read/write
> and use hardcoded way to read/write register directly instead of using
> the standard API lpuart32_read/write, like follows:
> e.g.
> lpuart32_le_console_write() {
> writel();
> }
>
> lpuart32_be_console_write() {
> iowrite32be()
> }
> This also makes the driver a bit strange and ugly.
>
> It looks to me both way are trade offs and the later one seems sacrifice
> more. And i doubt if it's really necessary for probably a no real gain
> purpose as the FPGA you mentioned is a theoretical case and less
> possibility to exist.
>
> I'm still wondering how about keep using the exist way and adding more
> information in code to explain why use a global var?

I've checked other driver under drivers/tty/serial/, for examples of
similar cases.

Please look at serial8250_early_in() / serial8250_early_out() ?
These do handle different endian, via port->iotype

Another example is drivers/tty/serial/samsung.c, where
port->private_data is initialized and used.

Nikita

  Last update: 2017-05-23 07:25    [W:0.817 / U:0.840 seconds]