SubjectRe: net/sched: latent livelock in dev_deactivate_many() due to yield() usage
On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Mike Galbraith <efault@gmx.de> wrote:
> Greetings network wizards,
>
> Quoting kernel/sched/core.c:
> /**
> * yield - yield the current processor to other threads.
> *
> * Do not ever use this function, there's a 99% chance you're doing it wrong.
> *
> * The scheduler is at all times free to pick the calling task as the most
> * eligible task to run, if removing the yield() call from your code breaks
> * it, its already broken.
> *
> * Typical broken usage is:
> *
> * while (!event)
> * yield();
> *
> * where one assumes that yield() will let 'the other' process run that will
> * make event true. If the current task is a SCHED_FIFO task that will never
> * happen. Never use yield() as a progress guarantee!!
> *
> * If you want to use yield() to wait for something, use wait_event().
> * If you want to use yield() to be 'nice' for others, use cond_resched().
> * If you still want to use yield(), do not!
> */
>
> Livelock can be triggered by setting kworkers to SCHED_FIFO, then
> suspend/resume.. you come back from sleepy-land with a spinning
> kworker. For whatever reason, I can only do that with an enterprise
> like config, my standard config refuses to play, but no matter, it's
> "Typical broken usage".
>
> (yield() should be rendered dead)

Thanks for the report! Looks like a quick solution here is to replace
this yield() with cond_resched(), it is harder to really wait for
all qdisc's to transmit all packets.

  Last update: 2017-04-05 00:40    [W:0.158 / U:0.380 seconds]