SubjectRe: [tip:x86/platform 1/1] platform_bt.c:undefined reference to `gpiod_add_lookup_table'
On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 12:36 +0200, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Andy Shevchenko
> <andy.shevchenko@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 11:16 AM, Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@linaro
> > .org> wrote:
> > > If it is just a stub without much code I guess that is prettier,
> > > but
> > > still it is a bit weird, because I guess the table that are passed
> > > to gpiod_add_lookup_table() will still be compiled into the object
> > > so you are anyways carrying cruft, and then what is the point in
> > > not just doing select GPIOLIB.
> >
> > Because it's optional to HCIUART_BCM as far as I know. But I didn't
> > look closer to possibilities there (IIRC there no *_optional() calls
> > to GPIOLIB).
>
> Do you mean for adding tables?
> We have:
> devm_gpiod_get_optional() & friends.

> They return NULL if the GPIO is not there, or if the
> GPIO library is compiled out (as of HEAD, due to the
> patch from Dmitry T.)

I'm talking if they are used or not in hci_bcm.c.

Just checked and indeed the driver is using _optional() variants.
This means GPIOLIB is optional to the driver.

> > > So I'm a bit worried that we are seeing a symptom of board data
> > > stockpiling in arch/x86 and not really a GPIO compilation problem.
> >
> > Don't be. I'm trying to avoid this and my plan is actually to modify
> > boot loader on that board to provide ACPI tables instead. This will
> > hide all crappy stuff in bootloader, though we better to support
> > legacy (stock) bootloader as well and thus platform data.
>
> OK sounds reasonable. Kind of like the attached device tree we
> do on ARM.

It will time. Meanwhile, what is the best approach to avoid build break?

Taking into consideration above (hci_bcm.c driver uses _optional()
variants) and no separate Kconfig option for platform code, I would go
with a stub for gpiod_add_lookup_table() when !GPIOLIB.

Another option is to make this stub inside that driver. Btw, as far as I
can see this is the only user which has no explicit dependency to
GPIOLIB.

--
Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@linux.intel.com>
Intel Finland Oy

  Last update: 2017-04-18 15:44    [W:0.082 / U:0.492 seconds]