SubjectRe: [RFC v3 0/5] Add capacity capping support to the CPU controller
On 12-Apr 14:10, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> Let me reply in parts as I read this.. easy things first :-)
>
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 06:58:33PM +0100, Patrick Bellasi wrote:
> > On 10-Apr 09:36, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>
> > > 4) they have muddled semantics, because while its presented as a task
> > > property, it very much is not.
> >
> > Actually we always presented it as a task group property, while other
> > people suggested it should be a per-task API.
> >
> > Still, IMO it could make sense also as a per-task API, for example
> > considering a specific RT task which we know in our system is
> > perfectly fine to always run it below a certain OPP.
> >
> > Do you think it should be a per-task API?
> > Should we focus (at least initially) on providing a per task-group API?
>
> Even for the cgroup interface, I think they should set a per-task
> property, not a group property.

Ok, right now using CGroups ans primary (and unique) interface, these
values are tracked as attributes of the CPU controller. Tasks gets
them by reading these attributes once they are binded to a CGroup.

Are you proposing to move these attributes within the task_struct?

In that case we should also defined a primary interface to set them,
any preferred proposal? sched_setattr(), prctl?

> > > 3) they have absolutely unacceptable overhead in implementation. Two
> > > more RB tree operations per enqueue/dequeue is just not going to
> > > happen.
> >
> > This last point is about "implementation details", I'm pretty
> > confident that if we find an agreement on the previous point than
> > this last will be simple to solve.
> >
> > Just to be clear, the rb-trees are per CPU and used to track just the
> > RUNNABLE tasks on each CPUs and, as I described in the previous
> > example, for the OPP biasing to work I think we really need an
> > aggregation mechanism.
>
> I know its runnable, which is exactly what the regular RB tree in fair
> already tracks. That gets us 3 RB tree operations per scheduling
> operation, which is entirely ridiculous.
>
> And while I disagree with the need to track this at all, see below, it
> can be done _much_ cheaper using a double augmented RB-tree, where you
> keep the min/max as heaps inside the regular RB-tree.

By regular rb-tree do you mean the cfs_rq->tasks_timeline?

Because in that case this would apply only to the FAIR class, while
the rb-tree we are using here are across classes.
Supporting both FAIR and RT I think is a worth having feature.

> > Ideally, every time a task is enqueue/dequeued from a CPU we want to
> > know what is the currently required capacity clamping. This requires
> > to maintain an ordered list of values and rb-trees are the most effective
> > solution.
> >
> > Perhaps, if we accept a certain level of approximation, we can
> > potentially reduce the set of tracked values to a finite set (maybe
> > corresponding to the EM capacity values) and use just a per-cpu
> > ref-counting array.
> > Still the min/max aggregation will have a worst case O(N) search
> > complexity, where N is the number of finite values we want to use.
>
> So the bigger point is that if the min/max is a per-task property (even
> if set through a cgroup interface), the min(max) / max(min) thing is
> wrong.

Perhaps I'm not following you here but, being per-task does not mean
that we need to aggregate these constraints by summing them (look
below)...

> If the min/max were to apply to each individual task's util, you'd end
> up with something like: Dom(\Sum util) = [min(1, \Sum min), min(1, \Sum max)].

... as you do here.

Let's use the usual simple example, where these per-tasks constraints
are configured:
- TaskA: capacity_min: 20% capacity_max: 80%
- TaskB: capacity_min: 40% capacity_max: 60%

This means that, at CPU level, we want to enforce the following
clamping depending on the tasks status:

RUNNABLE tasks capacity_min capacity_max
A) TaskA 20% 80%
B) TaskA,TaskB 40% 80%
C) TaskB 40% 60%

In case C, TaskA gets a bigger boost while is co-scheduled with TaskB.

Notice that this CPU-level aggregation is used just for OPP selection
on that CPU, while for TaskA we still use capacity_min=20% when we are
looking for a CPU.

--
#include <best/regards.h>

Patrick Bellasi

  Last update: 2017-04-12 15:56    [W:0.145 / U:0.444 seconds]