SubjectRe: KASLR causes intermittent boot failures on some systems
On 04/07/17 at 10:41am, Jeff Moyer wrote:
> Hi,
> commit 021182e52fe01 ("x86/mm: Enable KASLR for physical mapping memory
> regions") causes some of my systems with persistent memory (whether real
> or emulated) to fail to boot with a couple of different crash
> signatures. The first signature is a NMI watchdog lockup of all but 1
> cpu, which causes much difficulty in extracting useful information from
> the console. The second variant is an invalid paging request, listed
> below.
> On some systems, I haven't hit this problem at all. Other systems
> experience a failed boot maybe 20-30% of the time. To reproduce it,
> configure some emulated pmem on your system. You can find directions
> for that here:
> Install ndctl (
> Configure the namespace:
> # ndctl create-namespace -f -e namespace0.0 -m memory
> Then just reboot several times (5 should be enough), and hopefully
> you'll hit the issue.
> I've attached both my .config and the dmesg output from a successful
> boot at the end of this mail.

I did some tests about emulated pmem via memmap=, kdump kernel hangs or
just reboots early during compressing kernel, no clue how to handle it.
Since for kdump kernel kaslr is pointless a workaround is use "nokaslr"

In Fedora or RHEL, just add "nokaslr" in KDUMP_COMMANDLINE_APPEND
in /etc/sysconfig/kdump

Can you try if this works?

 \ /
  Last update: 2017-04-12 10:25    [W:0.199 / U:3.952 seconds]