SubjectRe: [RFC 2/2] fanotify: emit FAN_MODIFY_DIR on filesystem changes
On Sun 19-03-17 11:37:39, Filip Štědronský wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 11:19:43AM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
> > However if you can really call fsnotify hooks with 'path' available in all
> > the places, it should be equally hard to just pass 'path' to
> > vfs_(create|mkdir|...) and that way we don't have to sprinkle fsnotify
> > calls into several call sites but keep them local to vfs_(create|mkdir|...)
> > helpers. Hmm?
>
> the problem is: not absolutely all. One illuminating example is the use
> of vfs_mknod in devtmpfs. There a struct path is not only unavailable
> but makes not semantic sense: the changes do not go thru any mountpoint.

How come? In current kernel the call looks like:

vfs_mknod(d_inode(path.dentry), dentry, mode, dev->devt);

so the path is available there... I've actually quickly checked all
vfs_mknod() callers and they all seem to have path available.

> And in general I think there will be situations where you would need
> to call VFS functions without paths.
>
> Thus I suggested either
> (a) wrapping the VFS functions with path variants, or
> (b) giving them an optional vfsmount argument that can be set to NULL
> when it does not make sense

So my first take is that fsnotify calls happen still relatively high in the
call stack where we should mostly have mount point available from the path
lookup. That being said there may be places where we've lost that
information and it will not be easy to propagate it there and that would
have to be dealt with on case-by-case basis. But mountpoint is needed for
other stuff like security checks these days as well so we should have it
available in principle.

Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@suse.com>
SUSE Labs, CR

  Last update: 2017-03-20 12:15    [W:0.110 / U:0.344 seconds]