SubjectRe: mm allocation failure and hang when running xfstests generic/269 on xfs
On Thu 02-03-17 09:51:31, Brian Foster wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 03:34:41PM +0100, Michal Hocko wrote:

> > > Right.. that's why I'm asking. So it's technically possible but highly
> > > unlikely due to the different failure characteristics. That seems
> > > reasonable to me, then.
> > >
> > > To be clear, do we understand what causes the vzalloc() failure to be
> > > effectively permanent in this specific reproducer? I know you mention
> > > above that we could be out of vmalloc space, but that doesn't clarify
> > > whether there are other potential failure paths or then what this has to
> > > do with the fact that the process was killed. Does the pending signal
> > > cause the subsequent failures or are you saying that there is some other
> > > root cause of the failure, this process would effectively be spinning
> > > here anyways, and we're just noticing it because it's trying to exit?
> >
> > In this particular case it is fatal_signal_pending that causes the
> > permanent failure. This check has been added to prevent from complete
> > memory reserves depletion on OOM when a killed task has a free ticket to
> > reserves and vmalloc requests can be really large. In this case there
> > was no OOM killer going on but fsstress has SIGKILL pending for other
> > reason. Most probably as a result of the group_exit when all threads
> > are killed (see zap_process). I could have turn fatal_signal_pending
> > into tsk_is_oom_victim which would be less likely to hit but in
> > principle fatal_signal_pending should be better because we do want to
> > bail out when the process is existing as soon as possible.
> >
> > What I really wanted to say is that there are other possible permanent
> > failure paths in vmalloc AFAICS. They are much less probable but they
> > still exist.
> >
> > Does that make more sense now?
>
> Yes, thanks. That explains why this crops up now where it hasn't in the
> past. Please include that background in the commit log description.

OK, does this sound better. I am open to any suggestions to improve this
of course

: xfs: allow kmem_zalloc_greedy to fail
:
: Even though kmem_zalloc_greedy is documented it might fail the current
: code doesn't really implement this properly and loops on the smallest
: allowed size for ever. This is a problem because vzalloc might fail
: permanently - we might run out of vmalloc space or since 5d17a73a2ebe
: ("vmalloc: back off when the current task is killed") when the current
: task is killed. The later one makes the failure scenario much more
: probable than it used to be. Fix this by bailing out if the minimum size
: request failed.
:
: This has been noticed by a hung generic/269 xfstest by Xiong Zhou.
:
: fsstress: vmalloc: allocation failure, allocated 12288 of 20480 bytes, mode:0x14080c2(GFP_KERNEL|__GFP_HIGHMEM|__GFP_ZERO), nodemask=(null)
: fsstress cpuset=/ mems_allowed=0-1
: CPU: 1 PID: 23460 Comm: fsstress Not tainted 4.10.0-master-45554b2+ #21
: Hardware name: HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9/ProLiant DL380 Gen9, BIOS P89 10/05/2016
: Call Trace:
: dump_stack+0x63/0x87
: warn_alloc+0x114/0x1c0
: ? alloc_pages_current+0x88/0x120
: __vmalloc_node_range+0x250/0x2a0
: ? kmem_zalloc_greedy+0x2b/0x40 [xfs]
: ? free_hot_cold_page+0x21f/0x280
: vzalloc+0x54/0x60
: ? kmem_zalloc_greedy+0x2b/0x40 [xfs]
: kmem_zalloc_greedy+0x2b/0x40 [xfs]
: xfs_bulkstat+0x11b/0x730 [xfs]
: ? xfs_bulkstat_one_int+0x340/0x340 [xfs]
: ? selinux_capable+0x20/0x30
: ? security_capable+0x48/0x60
: xfs_ioc_bulkstat+0xe4/0x190 [xfs]
: xfs_file_ioctl+0x9dd/0xad0 [xfs]
: ? do_filp_open+0xa5/0x100
: do_vfs_ioctl+0xa7/0x5e0
: SyS_ioctl+0x79/0x90
: do_syscall_64+0x67/0x180
: entry_SYSCALL64_slow_path+0x25/0x25
:
: fsstress keeps looping inside kmem_zalloc_greedy without any way out
: because vmalloc keeps failing due to fatal_signal_pending.
:
: Reported-by: Xiong Zhou <xzhou@redhat.com>
: Analyzed-by: Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@I-love.SAKURA.ne.jp>
: Signed-off-by: Michal Hocko <mhocko@suse.com>

> Also, that kind of makes me think that a fatal_signal_pending() check is
> still appropriate in the loop, even if we want to drop the infinite
> retry loop in kmem_zalloc_greedy() as well. There's no sense in doing
> however many retries are left before we return and that's also more
> explicit for the next person who goes to change this code in the future.

I am not objecting to adding fatal_signal_pending as well I just thought
that from the logic POV breaking after reaching the minimum size is just
the right thing to do. We can optimize further by checking
fatal_signal_pending and reducing retries when we know it doesn't make
much sense but that should be done on top as an optimization IMHO.

> Otherwise, I'm fine with breaking the infinite retry loop at the same
> time. It looks like Christoph added this function originally so this
> should probably require his ack as well..

What do you think Christoph?
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2017-03-02 20:16    [W:0.113 / U:0.032 seconds]