SubjectRe: [RFC 1/1] shiftfs: uid/gid shifting bind mount
On Tue, 2017-02-07 at 19:59 +0200, Amir Goldstein wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 6:37 PM, James Bottomley
> <James.Bottomley@hansenpartnership.com> wrote:

> > > Please move this into VFS instead of a stackable fs. We might
> > > need
> > > addtional parameters to getattr/setattr to specify the ID
> > > translation, but that's why better than a horrible hack like
> > > this.
> >
> > I would need a lot more than that: getattr controls the cosmetic
> > permission display to the user, but enforcement is done in the core
> > permission checks which are inode based. To make this a real bind
> > mount, the core permission checks will have to become subtree aware
> > because knowledge of whether we need a uid shift in the permission
> > check becomes a subtree property. Effectively inode_permission
> > would
> > become dentry_permission and generic_permission would take a dentry
> > instead of an inode. This will be a huge amount of VFS and
> > underlying
> > filesystem churn, since the permissions calls are threaded through
> > huge chunk of code.
> >

> I am not even sure that would be enough.
> dentry does not contain information about the mount user came from,
> and sb contains only information about the user ns of the mounter of
> the file system, not the mounter of the bind mount, right?
> I think I am missing some big pieces of the big picture.
> Would love to hear what Eric has to say.

I'm not really sure until it gets prototyped, but I think the
filesystem user namespace would also have to become a subtree property.

The whole reason for shiftfs being a properly mounted filesystem is
because it needs a super block to capture the namespace it's being
mounted in.

However, when you have a container that you want remapping inside, you
must have a user namespace which owns a mount namespace, so we can
deduce the information from the mount namespace. All we probably need
the subtree to tell us is if we're shifting or not.

James

  Last update: 2017-02-07 19:21    [W:0.103 / U:0.268 seconds]