SubjectRe: USB: hub: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in usb_hub_clear_tt_buffer()
On Wed, 6 Dec 2017, SF Markus Elfring wrote:

> >> No, but the effect is similar.
> >>
> >> OOM does a dump_stack() so this function's call tree is shown.
> >
> > A call stack doesn't tell you which device was being handled.
>
> Do you find a default Linux allocation failure report insufficient then?
>
> Would you like to to achieve that the requested information can be determined
> from a backtrace?

It is not practical to do this. The memory allocation routines do not
for what purpose the memory is being allocated; hence when a failure
occurs they cannot tell what device (or other part of the system) will
be affected.

That's why we have a secondary error message.

Alan Stern

  Last update: 2017-12-06 23:03    [W:0.115 / U:0.304 seconds]