SubjectRe: About the try to remove cross-release feature entirely by Ingo
On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 12:44:17PM -0800, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> I'm not sure I agree with this part. What if we add a new TCP lock class
> for connections which are used for filesystems/network block devices/...?
> Yes, it'll be up to each user to set the lockdep classification correctly,
> but that's a relatively small number of places to add annotations,
> and I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I was exagerrating a bit for effect, I admit. (but only a bit).

It can probably be for all TCP connections that are used by kernel
code (as opposed to userspace-only TCP connections). But it would
probably have to be each and every device-mapper instance, each and
every block device, each and every mounted file system, each and every
bdi object, etc.

The point I was trying to drive home is that "all we have to do is
just classify everything well or just invalidate the right lock
objects" is a massive understatement of the complexity level of what
would be required, or the number of locks/completion handlers that
would have to be blacklisted.

- Ted

  Last update: 2017-12-30 23:41    [W:0.119 / U:2.092 seconds]