SubjectRe: iio/…: Use common error handling code
On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 17:43:34 +0100
SF Markus Elfring <elfring@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> > Hi Markus, I've accepted the ones that I think made an improvement
> > outweighing the inherent small costs of making any change.
>
> Does such a kind of feedback mean that you reconsidered any places
> where you expressed a rejection initially?
No. Once I have expressed strong reservations about a patch it
would require some change in the facts to make me reevaluate.

> > We also need to avoid code constructs that are unusual in error handling
> > such as backwards gotos.
>
> Why would you like to exclude this approach if anything useful could be achieved
> in the shown software design direction?
Yes - exclude this. It trades of ease of review against briefness of code.
Ease of review and hence verification of correctness is more important in these
cases.

> > Note however that most of the changes made so far are only minor improvements.
>
> I agree that corresponding effects are small just because the discussed
> source code adjustments affected specific function implementations.
>

> > I am not saying I don't appreciate them,
>
> Thanks.
>

> > but rather than that they are of of low importance.
>
> A lot of details are competing also for our software development attention.

Exactly.

Jonathan

> Regards,
> Markus

  Last update: 2017-12-10 20:46    [W:0.050 / U:0.064 seconds]