    SubjectRe: Linux 4.15-rc2: Regression in resume from ACPI S3
    On Sun 2017-12-10 08:37:56, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 8:23 AM, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
    > >
    > > Can you do something about html emails? Quoting them doesn't work too well.
    >
    > Yeah, and they don't show up onlkml either because of rules. I try to
    > avoid them, but have been more on mobile for various reasons lately
    > than usual. That should be over and done with after today, though.
    >
    > >> Any chance to bisect it? This doesn't sound like the other problem
    > >> we had.
    > >
    > > Let me try...
    > >
    > > v4.15-rc2: suspends/resumes ok.
    > > 4ded3be: hangs on resume.
    > >
    > > Given that between those, there was supposed "fix" for suspend, I
    > > believe I should try reverting that one first. .. if someone can tell
    > > me commit id, that would help.
    >
    > The fix in there should be 5b06bbcfc2c6 ("x86/power: Fix some ordering
    > bugs in __restore_processor_context()") so you can certainly see if it
    > works before that (or just reverting it).

    Revert is easier.

    > But there are also a few other x86 low-level things there, and that
    > fix really looks very safe, so I'd almost expect something else to
    > have triggered your problem. There's less than 500 commits in that
    > range you have, so a few bisections should narrow it down a lot.

    No, that commit does _look_ pretty suspect to me...

    Confirmed, revert fixes it. You see how it moves fix_processor_context
    around #ifdef CONFIG_X86_32 block? And how people forget 32-bit
    machines exist? Aha.

    Which brings me to .. various people do automated testing of
    kernel. Testing 32-bit kernel for boot, and both 32-bit and 64-bit for
    boot and suspend would be very nice. The last item is not hard, either:

    sudo rtcwake -l -m mem -s 5

    ...should take 10 seconds or so.

    Pavel

      Last update: 2017-12-10 19:57    [W:4.076 / U:0.108 seconds]