SubjectRe: ALSA: nm256: Fine-tuning for three function implementations
On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 20:30:24 +0100,
SF Markus Elfring wrote:

> >> There is a general source code transformation pattern involved.
> >> So I find that it is systematic.
> >>
> >> But I did not dare to develop a script variant for the semantic patch
> >> language (Coccinelle software) which can handle all special use cases
> >> as a few of them are already demonstrated in this tiny patch series.
> >
> > Then you're doing everything by hands,
>
> I am navigating through possible changes around the pattern
> “Use common error handling code” mostly manually so far.
>

> > and can be wrong
>
> Such a possibility remains as usual.

"As usual" doesn't suffice. It must be "almost perfect" for such a
code refactoring. The damage by a overseen mistake is much higher
than the merit by such a patch.

If the patch is about fixing a bug, it's a different story.
Or it's about a really trivial change (e.g. your sizeof() conversion
patches), I can check and apply easily. But for other changes with
more lines, it makes little sense. Again, the risk of breakage
increases while the merit is negligible.

> > -- that's the heart of the problem.
>
> There might be related opportunities for further improvements.
> Do you trust adjustments from an evolving tool more than
> my concrete contributions?

Yes, loudly.

I stop at this point, as the rest is simply a repeat from the previous
mail.

thanks,

Takashi

  Last update: 2017-11-28 08:47    [W:0.105 / U:0.188 seconds]