SubjectRe: [RFC 00/19] KVM: s390/crypto/vfio: guest dedicated crypto adapters
On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 11:08:01 -0500
Tony Krowiak <akrowiak@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> I am not quite sure what you are asking, but I'll attempt to answer
> what I think you're asking. A new type of mediated matrix device
> will be introduced to configure a virtual matrix for a guest that
> provides the interfaces to map a virtual adapter/domain ID to one
> or more real adapter/domain IDs. If by virtualization facility,
> you are talking about the VFIO AP matrix driver, then yes,
> the driver will handle ioctl requests based on the type of the
> mediated matrix device through which the request was submitted:
>
> If the request is to configure the KVM guest's matrix:
>
> * If the mediated matrix device type is passthrough:
> * Do validation of matrix
> * Configure the APM, AQM and ADM in the KVM guest's CRYCB
> according to the configuration specified via the mediated
> device's sysfs attribute files.
> * If the mediated matrix device type is virtual:
> * Do validation of matrix
> * No need to configure CRYCB since all instructions will be
> intercepted

Ok, so we would have two distinct paths here...

> If the request is to execute an intercepted AP instruction:
>
> * If the mediated matrix device type is passthrough:
> * Forward the instruction to the AP device and return the
> result to QEMU.
>
> * If the mediated matrix device type is virtual:
>
> * Retrieve all of the real APQNs mapped to the virtual
> adapter and domain IDs configured in the mediated matrix
> device's sysfs attribute files
> * If there is more than one APQN mapping, then determine
> which would be best to use - algorithm TBD
> * Forward the instruction to the AP device and return the
> result.

...and two distinct paths for most instructions here as well.

> Of course, these are just preliminary ideas at this time.
> I've only prototyped the sysfs configuration interfaces. No
> back end prototyping has been undertaken yet. If the ideas do
> not pan out, however; I think virtualization can be introduced
> as an independent design.

Yes, let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

  Last update: 2017-11-22 14:48    [W:0.125 / U:0.200 seconds]