SubjectRe: [RFC 00/19] KVM: s390/crypto/vfio: guest dedicated crypto adapters
On 17/11/2017 00:35, Tony Krowiak wrote:
> On 11/16/2017 03:25 PM, Pierre Morel wrote:
>> On 16/11/2017 18:03, Cornelia Huck wrote:

> How do you suggest this discussion should be structured? Aren't the patches
> themselves an ultimate expression of the design? A lot could change, but
> can't those issues can be dealt with and discussed as we move forward?

>>> I thought it had been agreed that we should be able to ditch it?
>>
>> I have not see any comment on the matrix bus.
> As stated in a previous email responding to Connie, I decided to scrap the
> AP matrix bus. There will only ever be one matrix device that serves two
> purposes: To hold the APQNs of the queue devices bound to the VFIO AP
> matrix
> device driver; to serve as a parent of the mediated devices created for
> guests requiring access to the APQNs reserved for their use. So, instead
> of an AP matrix bus creating the matrix device, it will be created by the
> VFIO AP matrix driver in /sys/devices/ap_matrix/ during driver
> initialization.

Sorry, I did not see the mail, this of course change a lot of things...

>>> What is still unclear? Which card generations to support?
>>
>> No, I mean the relation bus/device/driver/mdev...
> I think that is pretty well spelled out in the cover letter
> patch and in the descriptions of the patches themselves. What is it
> you don't understand?

If we have no matrix bus anymore I prefer to wait for the cover letter
of V2 to discuss this.

> What do you mean by repartition of queues on boot?
>>>
>>> That's something I'd like to see a writeup for.
>>
>> yes, and it may have an influence on the bus/device/driver/mdev design
> I don't understand the need to avoid implementation details. If you recall,
> the original design was modeled on AP queue devices. It was only after
> implementing that design that the shortcomings were revealed which is
> why we decided to base the model on the AP matrix. Keep in mind, this is
> an RFC, not a final patch set. I would expect some change from the
> implementation herein. In fact, I've already made many changes based on
> Connie's and Christian's review comments, none of which resulted in an
> overhaul of the design.

>>> The driver model should already handle that, no?
>>
>> yes it should, but it is not clear for me.
> What is it that is not clear? This cover letter seeks to describe the
> patch set, so why not annotate those areas that are not clear? I'm don't
> understand what it is you are expecting. I thought the purpose of
> submitting these patches here was to generate discussion.

>>> I saw validation code in the patches, although I have not reviewed it.
> Patches 9, 11, and 13 validate the adapters, domains and control domains
> configured for the mdev matrix device and patch 17 verifies that the
> KVM guest's matrix does not define any APQNs in use by other guests.

>>> My understanding is that interrupts are optional so they can be left
>>> out in the first shot. With the gisa (that has not yet been posted), it
>>> should not be too difficult, no?
>>
>> you are right I forgot that it is optional
> If the facilities bit (STFLE.65) indicating interrupts are available is not
> set for the guest, then the AP bus running on the guest will poll and
> interrupts will not have to be handled. This patch set does not enable
> interrupts, so it is not relevant at this time. We will not be able to
> handle interrupts for the guest until the GISA for passthrough patches
> are available. This will be addressed at that time.

>>> I can't say anything about that, as this is not documented :(
>>
>> Right we can live without these too.
> I have implemented interception of the PQAP(TAPQ) instruction and will
> include it in the next set of patches. It was not documented here
> because this patch set was submitted as an RFC for the purpose of
> determining if we are on the right track with regard to the overall
> AP matrix design. >>

>>> Is this really needed? It would complicate everything a lot.
>>
>> Concern has no sens without interception.
> Virtualization of AP is not on the table right now.

If we implement interception, we must speak about this, even to say how
we do not implement virtualization.

>>> That already has been discussed with the individual patches.
>>
>> Well, if there are no interceptions the individual patches discussions
>> are enough.
> As I stated above, these patches were submitted as an RFC for the
> purpose of
> getting a stamp of approval for the general design. Additional functions
> such as
> hot plug and interception will be introduced in phases in the near
> future. As
> I stated above, I already have the implementation of PQAP(TAPQ) and will
> include
> it in the next submission. It does not change the general design one iota.

>>> The general design already looks fine to me. Do you really expect that
>>> a major redesign is needed?
> I thought the point of submitting this RFC was to get a sanity check of the
> design concepts. According to Christian, he discussed the design with
> several maintainers at the KVM forum and they agreed this design was sane.
>>>

>> I am worry about the following:
>> - Will the matrix bus be accepted
> I am eliminating the matrix bus - based on comments made by Connie for an
> individual patch - so no need to worry;-)
>>
>> - What happens on host reset and hot plug/unplug in host
> TBD, but I don't anticipate a major overhaul of the design to accommodate
> these eventualities, particularly hot plug which I considered while
> creating this design.
>>
>> - What happens with the queues on guest start/halt/restart
> TBD

AFAIU These two points are crucials for device driver design.

Pierre

--
Pierre Morel
Linux/KVM/QEMU in Böblingen - Germany

  Last update: 2017-11-17 17:18    [W:0.120 / U:3.068 seconds]