lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2017]   [Oct]   [9]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
Patch in this message
/
Date
From
SubjectRe: [PATCH -v2 12/18] sched/fair: Rewrite PELT migration propagation
On Mon, Oct 09, 2017 at 09:08:57AM +0100, Morten Rasmussen wrote:
> > --- a/kernel/sched/debug.c
> > +++ b/kernel/sched/debug.c
> > @@ -565,6 +565,8 @@ void print_cfs_rq(struct seq_file *m, in
> > cfs_rq->removed.load_avg);
> > SEQ_printf(m, " .%-30s: %ld\n", "removed.util_avg",
> > cfs_rq->removed.util_avg);
> > + SEQ_printf(m, " .%-30s: %ld\n", "removed.runnable_sum",
> > + cfs_rq->removed.runnable_sum);
> > #ifdef CONFIG_FAIR_GROUP_SCHED
> > SEQ_printf(m, " .%-30s: %lu\n", "tg_load_avg_contrib",
> > cfs_rq->tg_load_avg_contrib);
> > --- a/kernel/sched/fair.c
> > +++ b/kernel/sched/fair.c
> > @@ -3330,11 +3330,77 @@ void set_task_rq_fair(struct sched_entit
> > se->avg.last_update_time = n_last_update_time;
> > }
> >
> > -/* Take into account change of utilization of a child task group */
> > +
> > +/*
> > + * When on migration a sched_entity joins/leaves the PELT hierarchy, we need to
> > + * propagate its contribution. The key to this propagation is the invariant
> > + * that for each group:
> > + *
> > + * ge->avg == grq->avg (1)
> > + *
> > + * _IFF_ we look at the pure running and runnable sums. Because they
> > + * represent the very same entity, just at different points in the hierarchy.
> > + *
> > + *
> > + * Per the above update_tg_cfs_util() is trivial (and still 'wrong') and
> > + * simply copies the running sum over.
> > + *
> > + * However, update_tg_cfs_runnable() is more complex. So we have:
> > + *
> > + * ge->avg.load_avg = ge->load.weight * ge->avg.runnable_avg (2)
> > + *
> > + * And since, like util, the runnable part should be directly transferable,
> > + * the following would _appear_ to be the straight forward approach:
> > + *
> > + * grq->avg.load_avg = grq->load.weight * grq->avg.running_avg (3)
>
> Should it be grq->avg.runnable_avg instead of running_avg?

Yes very much so. Typing hard. Otherwise (3) would not follow from (2)
either.

> cfs_rq->avg.load_avg has been defined previous (in patch 2 I think) to
> be:
>
> load_avg = \Sum se->avg.load_avg
> = \Sum se->load.weight * se->avg.runnable_avg
>
> That sum will increase when ge is runnable regardless of whether it is
> running or not. So, I think it has to be runnable_avg to make sense?

Ack.

> > + *
> > + * And per (1) we have:
> > + *
> > + * ge->avg.running_avg == grq->avg.running_avg
>
> You just said further up that (1) only applies to running and runnable
> sums? These are averages, so I think this is invalid use of (1). But
> maybe that is part of your point about (4) being wrong?
>
> I'm still trying to get my head around the remaining bits, but it sort
> of depends if I understood the above bits correctly :)

So while true, the thing we're looking for is indeed runnable_avg.

> > + *
> > + * Which gives:
> > + *
> > + * ge->load.weight * grq->avg.load_avg
> > + * ge->avg.load_avg = ----------------------------------- (4)
> > + * grq->load.weight
> > + *
> > + * Except that is wrong!
> > + *
> > + * Because while for entities historical weight is not important and we
> > + * really only care about our future and therefore can consider a pure
> > + * runnable sum, runqueues can NOT do this.
> > + *
> > + * We specifically want runqueues to have a load_avg that includes
> > + * historical weights. Those represent the blocked load, the load we expect
> > + * to (shortly) return to us. This only works by keeping the weights as
> > + * integral part of the sum. We therefore cannot decompose as per (3).
> > + *
> > + * OK, so what then?

And as the text above suggests, we cannot decompose because it contains
the blocked weight, which is not included in grq->load.weight and thus
things come apart.

> > + * Another way to look at things is:
> > + *
> > + * grq->avg.load_avg = \Sum se->avg.load_avg
> > + *
> > + * Therefore, per (2):
> > + *
> > + * grq->avg.load_avg = \Sum se->load.weight * se->avg.runnable_avg
> > + *
> > + * And the very thing we're propagating is a change in that sum (someone
> > + * joined/left). So we can easily know the runnable change, which would be, per
> > + * (2) the already tracked se->load_avg divided by the corresponding
> > + * se->weight.
> > + *
> > + * Basically (4) but in differential form:
> > + *
> > + * d(runnable_avg) += se->avg.load_avg / se->load.weight
> > + * (5)
> > + * ge->avg.load_avg += ge->load.weight * d(runnable_avg)

And this all has runnable again, and so should make sense.

Combined with an earlier bit, noted by Dietmar, I now have the below
delta.


---
kernel/sched/fair.c | 8 ++++----
1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/kernel/sched/fair.c b/kernel/sched/fair.c
index b9e520b6923e..ba879c42bddd 100644
--- a/kernel/sched/fair.c
+++ b/kernel/sched/fair.c
@@ -3333,7 +3333,7 @@ __update_load_avg_cfs_rq(u64 now, int cpu, struct cfs_rq *cfs_rq)
* differential update where we store the last value we propagated. This in
* turn allows skipping updates if the differential is 'small'.
*
- * Updating tg's load_avg is necessary before update_cfs_share().
+ * Updating tg's load_avg is necessary before update_cfs_group().
*/
static inline void update_tg_load_avg(struct cfs_rq *cfs_rq, int force)
{
@@ -3422,11 +3422,11 @@ void set_task_rq_fair(struct sched_entity *se,
* And since, like util, the runnable part should be directly transferable,
* the following would _appear_ to be the straight forward approach:
*
- * grq->avg.load_avg = grq->load.weight * grq->avg.running_avg (3)
+ * grq->avg.load_avg = grq->load.weight * grq->avg.runnable_avg (3)
*
* And per (1) we have:
*
- * ge->avg.running_avg == grq->avg.running_avg
+ * ge->avg.runnable_avg == grq->avg.runnable_avg
*
* Which gives:
*
@@ -3601,7 +3601,7 @@ static inline void add_tg_cfs_propagate(struct cfs_rq *cfs_rq, long runnable_sum
* avg. The immediate corollary is that all (fair) tasks must be attached, see
* post_init_entity_util_avg().
*
- * cfs_rq->avg is used for task_h_load() and update_cfs_share() for example.
+ * cfs_rq->avg is used for task_h_load() and update_cfs_group() for example.
*
* Returns true if the load decayed or we removed load.
*
\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2017-10-09 11:46    [W:0.103 / U:1.968 seconds]
©2003-2018 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site