SubjectRe: Read-only `slaves` with shared subtrees?
On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Ram Pai <linuxram@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>> One thing that I don't plan to use, but might be worth thinking about is
>> `slave + RW + STICKY` combination. If `master` mounts something RO,
>> and `slave`
>> is `RW + STICKY`, should the mount appear RW inside the slave? I don't
>> find it particularly useful,
>> but still...
>
> As per the implemented semantics it will become "RW". Should it be "RO"
> aswell? Will that open up security holes?

It is a mechanism that could be used to potentially increase the scope
of privileges, which is a fertile ground for security issues. There is
some room for using it to circumvent mechanisms that were unaware of
this new feature. I guess for this reason alone, it might be worth
limiting to RO only.l

>> Another thing that popped into my head: Is it worth considering any
>> dynamic changes to `slave`'s
>> RO status? It complicates everything a lot (it seems to me), since it
>> adds a retroactive
>> dynamic propagation. I don't currently have any plans to use it, but I
>> could imagine scenarios
>> in which a slave mount with all it's sub-mounts is remounted from RO
>> to RW, in response to
>> some external authorization trigger.
>
> The sematics should be something like this. Check if it makes sense.
>
> a) anything mounted under stick-mount will be a sticky-mount and will
> inherit the mount's access-attribute;i.e RO RW attribute.
> b) a mount when made sticky will propagate its sticky attribute
> as well as its access-attribute recursively to its children
> c) anything mounted under non-sticky mount will not inherit the
> mount's access-attribute and will be non-sticky aswell.
> d) a mount when made non-sticky will just change itself to non-sticky.
> (will NOT propagate its non-sticky attribute and its
> access-attribue recursively to its children.)

a), b) and c), seem uncontroversial. d) seems OK, but I'm unsure as it
is asymmetrical to b). Both recursive and non-recursive D seem to make
sense. I'm just unsure if any is more useful than the other.

What happens when a sticky RO slave mount is remounted as RW? Does it
loose stickiness? Does this change propagate to its children?

Another angle, that just appeared to me: If we have a double link A
(master) -> (slave) B (master) -> (slave) C

If A is RW and B is RO + sticky, does mount propagated to C will also
be RO? It seems to me it should.

Regards,
Dawid

  Last update: 2017-10-09 23:40    [W:0.076 / U:0.320 seconds]