SubjectRe: [RFC 2/2] phy: exynos5-usbdrd: remove disable and enable of phy clk
On Sun, Oct 08, 2017 at 06:11:12PM +0530, Anand Moon wrote:
> Hi Krzysztof,
>
> On 6 October 2017 at 12:12, Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk@kernel.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 6:36 AM, Anand Moon <linux.amoon@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> remove the disable and enable of phy clk.
> >> phy clk is needed to tune the phy controller.
> >
> > Drivers should in general enable and disable the clocks they use. Just
> > like in patch #1 please describe why you are doing this, what kind of
> > problem are you trying to solve and what exactly are you trying to do
> > here.
> >
> > BR,
> > Krzysztof
> >

> [snip]
>
> Usually we would disable the clk on error patch and return with failed.
> but in the current code we disable the clk in init routine and
> enable the clk in disable routine which seem incorrect.

No. For example for exynos5_usbdrd_phy_exit() the driver enables the
clock only for the access to PHY block (PHY registers).

> [0] https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/phy/samsung/phy-exynos5-usbdrd.c#L362-L412
> [1] https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/phy/samsung/phy-exynos5-usbdrd.c#L424-L446
>
> On 3.10.x kernel clk_summary all the clk are enables.
>
> mout_usbdrd300 3 3 24000000
> dout_usbdrd300 2 2 24000000
> sclk_usbdrd300 1 1 24000000
> dout_usbphy300 2 2 24000000
> sclk_usbphy300 1 1 24000000
> mout_usbdrd301 3 3 24000000
> dout_usbdrd301 2 2 24000000
> sclk_usbdrd301 1 1 24000000
> dout_usbphy301 2 2 24000000
> sclk_usbphy301 1 1 24000000
>
> Some more changes in clk driver might be required to stabilize the usb module.

Please describe the issues with stability first.

Best regards,
Krzysztof

  Last update: 2017-10-08 17:50    [W:1.596 / U:0.484 seconds]