SubjectRe: Extreme time jitter with suspend/resume cycles
On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Gabriel Beddingfield <gabe@nestlabs.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:
>> Calling things a hack which might have been thought out carefully does not
>> make people more receptive.
>
> My bad... sorry! You're right. The code in question is better than a "hack."
>
>>> Many ARM systems provide a "persistent clock." Most of them are backed
>>> by a 32kHz clock that gives good precision and makes the delta_delta
>>> hack unnecessary. However, devices that only have single-second
>>> precision for the persistent clock and/or are forced to use the RTC
>>> (whose API only allows for single-second precision) -- they still need
>>> this hack.
>>
>> I have no idea what you are trying to tell me. We know that there are
>> systems which have a clocksource which continues to tick across
>> suspend/resume.
>
> I'm referring to read_persistent_clock64() API... which is distinct from the
> CLOCK_SOURCE_SUSPEND_NONSTOP flag.
>
>> Such clocksources can be flagged with CLOCK_SOURCE_SUSPEND_NONSTOP and the
>> timekeeping resume code uses them when available instead of using the
>> RTC. There are a few of them flagged as such in the kernel, but it might
>> It's neither a problem of the timekeeping core code to select the
>> appropriate clocksource for a system. That's up to the developer who
>> implemented the SoC/CPU support and made a decision about rating the
>> clocksource(s), which might end up selecting one which stops in suspend.
>
> This was our first approach. However, because of some hardware
> limitations we couldn't
> move the system's monotonic clock to the persistent clock. They had to
> be two different
> clocks. (Details below.)
>
>> Without looking at what it does, I can tell you that making it a config
>> option is not going to fly. It has to be runtime discoverable as we have to
>> support multi platform kernels.
>
> OK. Here's a couple ideas...
>
> APPROACH ONE: Use a heuristic
>
> If read_persistent_clock64() ever returns fractional seconds (as
> apposed to whole seconds), then
> permanently disable the compensation.

This seems reasonable to me as well.

>> Though I still want to know exactly why you think that you need some extra
>> magic in the timekeeping core code. If your system has a clocksource which
>> is not stopping on suspend and it lacks the flag, then this is a one liner
>> patch. If there is something else, then please elaborate.
>
> Long story short: you can't always have your low-power clock be your
> monotonic/sched
> clock.
>
> The SoC we use backs the monotonic clock (sched_clock_register()) with
> a counter that is
> high frequency (>10 MHz) in their reference implementation. But it
> does not count when the
> system is in low-power mode. However, it can be configured to use a
> 32kHz clock that *does*
> count when the system is in low-power mode. So, we started by using
> this clock and setting the
> CLOCK_SOURCE_SUSPEND_NONSTOP flag. It worked great... at first.
>
> Then we found that devices would randomly experience a 36-hour time jump.
> While we don't have a definitive root cause, the current theory is
> that we are getting
> non-atomic reads because the clock source isn't synchronized with the
> the high frequency
> clock (which is used for most of the digital logic on the SoC).
>
> Therefore, we moved the monotonic/sched clock back to the high-frequency source.
>
> Meanwhile, we can directly read the RTC clock on this system, and it
> will give us 32kHz
> resolution and also runs non-stop. Since reads are non-atomic, we have
> to read the
> registers in a loop. We used this register to implement
> read_persistent_clock64().
> Because we have to read the registers in a loop, it seemed unfit for use as the
> monotonic/sched clock.

Yea. I thought arm devices often had read_persistent_clock64() backed
by the 32k timer (which is poor for time initialization but works well
for suspend timing).

Maybe I misunderstood on the first read. Is it then that the
relatively fine-grained read_persistent_clock64() is colliding with
the delta_delta logic that assumes we get coarse 1sec resolution? In
that case the huristic above seems sane.

thanks
-john

  Last update: 2017-10-05 02:22    [W:0.085 / U:0.828 seconds]