SubjectRe: Sluggish AT91 I2C driver causes SMBus timeouts
Hi Peter,

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 11:40:50PM +0200, Peter Rosin wrote:
> Hi Ludovic,
>
> On 2017-10-17 09:58, Ludovic Desroches wrote:
> > Hi Peter,

> >> Like, what if I disable DMA?
> >>
> >> I saw no way to do that, short of short-cutting a few things in the
> >> driver code. So, did that and I cannot tickle the bug. But I don't
> >> know if that makes me safe?
> >>
> >> Ludovic, any reason to believe disabling DMA will prevent these
> >> stalls, or will they just appear under different circumstances?
> >
> > Sorry I am currently on vacation. I outlined this discussion.
>
> And I got buried in other stuff so I managed to ignore and then forget
> this for a couple of days. Sorry for the delay...

No problem.

> > As you noticed, there are some hardware constraints when using DMA.
> > Switching from DMA to PIO to handle the end of the transfer is probably the
> > root cause of the delay you get.
> >
> > I read you added traces, did you manage to get some information about
> > timings? Do we waste time waiting for the dma callback? for the RXRDY
> > interrupt?
>
> I *think* the stalls I'm seeing are from the dma callback.
>
> > If we spend time waiting for the dma callback for sure, disabling DMA
> > should prevent these stalls. If the stall is inbetween the two last
> > RXRDY interrupts, it seems it can appear under different circumstances.
>
> Exactly my point. It is hard to tell for sure. If we don't do dma, there
> is simply no guarantee that the problem goes away. I fear that disabling
> dma will only make the problem less likely, and that it therefore is not
> a real fix. I can test this any number of times, and Murphy will make
> sure that it doesn't trigger. Until it's in the hands of the customer...
>
> The smbus timeout is quite hard to handle when there is no way to
> guarantee that deadlines are met. The way I see it, the only safe option
> is to disable the smbus timeout. I prefer that over killing dma
> completely.

Your approach is probably the good one as it seems that the i2c-at91
controller is not the only one that cannot handle the SMBus timeout
feature.

> See my patches that take that approach (sorry for not having you on the
> cc list)
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/10/13/184

Thanks.

Regards

Ludovic

> >> I used this dirty "patch" to i2c-at91.c:at91_twi_configure_dma() for
> >> testing:
> >>
> >> - dev->use_dma = true;
> >> + //dev->use_dma = true;
> >>

> > You can simply remove dma bindings from the i2c node to force the i2c
> > controller to use the PIO mode.
>
> Ok, that's less intrusive...
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

  Last update: 2017-10-31 17:10    [W:0.045 / U:0.828 seconds]