SubjectRe: [tip:locking/urgent] locking/lockdep: Disable cross-release features for now

* Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2017, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > * Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > You know very well that with the cross release stuff we have to take the
> > > performance hit of stack unwinding because we have no idea whether there
> > > will show up a new lock relation later or not. And there is not much you
> > > can do in that respect.
> > >
> > > OTOH, the cross release feature unearthed real deadlocks already so it is a
> > > valuable debug feature and having an explicit config switch which defaults
> > > to N is well worth it.
> >
> > I disagree, because even if that's correct, the choices are not binary. The
> > performance regression was a slowdown of around 7x: lockdep boot overhead on that
> > particula system went from +3 seconds to +21 seconds...
>
> Hmm, I might have missed something, but what I've seen in this thread is:

> So that's 2x not 7x. [...]

Yeah, so what you missed I think is that the no-lockdep bootup time is 14 seconds.
So we have:

vanilla: 14 secs
lockdep: 17 secs (+3 secs)
lockdep+crossrelease: 35 secs (+21 secs)

So lockdep overhead got 7x worse on this system.

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2017-10-17 18:22    [W:0.050 / U:4.520 seconds]