lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2017]   [Jan]   [9]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
From
Date
SubjectRe: [PATCH] block: fix blk_get_backing_dev_info() crash, use bdev->bd_queue
On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@intel.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz> wrote:
>> On Fri 06-01-17 09:45:45, Dan Williams wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 2:23 AM, Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz> wrote:
>>> > On Thu 05-01-17 17:17:55, Dan Williams wrote:
>>> >> The ->bd_queue member of struct block_device was added in commit
>>> >> 87192a2a49c4 ("vfs: cache request_queue in struct block_device") in
>>> >> v3.3. However, blk_get_backing_dev_info() has been using
>>> >> bdev_get_queue() and grabbing the request_queue through the gendisk
>>> >> since before the git era.
>>> >>
>>> >> At final __blkdev_put() time ->bd_disk is cleared while ->bd_queue is
>>> >> not. The queue remains valid until the final put of the parent disk.
>>> >>
>>> >> The following crash signature results from blk_get_backing_dev_info()
>>> >> trying to lookup the queue through ->bd_disk after the final put of the
>>> >> block device. Simply switch bdev_get_queue() to use ->bd_queue directly
>>> >> which is guaranteed to still be valid at invalidate_partition() time.
>>> >>
>>> >> BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000000000568
>>> >> IP: blk_get_backing_dev_info+0x10/0x20
>>> >> [..]
>>> >> Call Trace:
>>> >> __inode_attach_wb+0x3a7/0x5d0
>>> >> __filemap_fdatawrite_range+0xf8/0x100
>>> >> filemap_write_and_wait+0x40/0x90
>>> >> fsync_bdev+0x54/0x60
>>> >> ? bdget_disk+0x30/0x40
>>> >> invalidate_partition+0x24/0x50
>>> >> del_gendisk+0xfa/0x230
>>> >
>>> > So we have a similar reports of the same problem. E.g.:
>>> >
>>> > http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-fsdevel/msg105153.html
>>> >
>>> > However I kind of miss how your patch would fix all those cases. The
>>> > principial problem is that inode_to_bdi() called on block device inode
>>> > wants to get the backing_dev_info however on last close of a block device
>>> > we do put_disk() and thus the request queue containing backing_dev_info
>>> > does not have to be around at that time. In your case you are lucky enough
>>> > to have the containing disk still around but that's not the case for all
>>> > inode_to_bdi() users (see e.g. the report I referenced) and your patch
>>> > would change relatively straightforward NULL pointer dereference to rather
>>> > subtle use-after-free issue
>>>
>>> True. If there are other cases that don't hold their own queue
>>> reference this patch makes things worse.
>>>
>>> > so I disagree with going down this path.
>>>
>>> I still think this patch is the right thing to do, but it needs to
>>> come after the wider guarantee that having an active bdev reference
>>> guarantees that the queue and backing_dev_info are still allocated.
>>>
>>> > So what I think needs to be done is that we make backing_dev_info
>>> > independently allocated structure with different lifetime rules to gendisk
>>> > or request_queue - definitely I want it to live as long as block device
>>> > inode exists. However it needs more thought what the exact lifetime rules
>>> > will be.
>>>
>>> Hmm, why does it need to be separately allocated?
>>>
>>> Something like this, passes the libnvdimm unit tests: (non-whitespace
>>> damaged version attached)
>>
>> So the problem with this approach is that request queue will be pinned while
>> bdev inode exists. And how long that is is impossible to predict or influence
>> from userspace so e.g. you cannot remove device driver from memory and even
>> unplugging USB after it has been unmounted would suddently go via a path of
>> "device removed while it is used" which can have unexpected consequences. I
>> guess Jens or Christoph will know more about the details...
>
> We do have the "block, fs: reliably communicate bdev end-of-life"
> effort that I need to revisit:
>
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-fsdevel/msg93312.html
>
> ...but I don't immediately see how keeping the request_queue around
> longer makes the situation worse?
>

Well the 0day kbuild robot and further testing with the libnvdimm unit
tests shows that bdi code is not ready for this release timing change.
So I retract it, sorry for the noise.

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2017-01-10 03:00    [W:0.055 / U:6.972 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site