lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2017]   [Jan]   [31]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
Date
From
SubjectRe: [PATCH 2/6] wl1251: Use request_firmware_prefer_user() for loading NVS calibration data
* Kalle Valo <kvalo@codeaurora.org> [170130 22:36]:
> Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> writes:
>
> > * Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> [170127 11:41]:
> >> On Fri 2017-01-27 17:23:07, Kalle Valo wrote:
> >> > Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@gmail.com> writes:
> >> >
> >> > > On Friday 27 January 2017 14:26:22 Kalle Valo wrote:
> >> > >> Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@gmail.com> writes:
> >> > >>
> >> > >> > 2) It was already tested that example NVS data can be used for N900 e.g.
> >> > >> > for SSH connection. If real correct data are not available it is better
> >> > >> > to use at least those example (and probably log warning message) so user
> >> > >> > can connect via SSH and start investigating where is problem.
> >> > >>
> >> > >> I disagree. Allowing default calibration data to be used can be
> >> > >> unnoticed by user and left her wondering why wifi works so badly.
> >> > >
> >> > > So there are only two options:
> >> > >
> >> > > 1) Disallow it and so these users will have non-working wifi.
> >> > >
> >> > > 2) Allow those data to be used as fallback mechanism.
> >> > >
> >> > > And personally I'm against 1) because it will break wifi support for
> >> > > *all* Nokia N900 devices right now.
> >> >
> >> > All two of them? :)
> >>
> >> Umm. You clearly want a flock of angry penguins at your doorsteps :-).
> >
> > Well this silly issue of symlinking and renaming nvs files in a standard
> > Linux distro was also hitting me on various devices with wl12xx/wl18xx
> > trying to use the same rootfs.
> >
> > Why don't we just set a custom compatible property for n900 that then
> > picks up some other nvs file instead of the default?
>
> Please don't. An ugly kernel workaround in kernel because of user space
> problems is a bad idea. wl1251 should just ask for NVS file from user
> space, it shouldn't care if it's a "default" file or something else.
> That's a user space policy decision.

Grr I keep forgetting it needs to be for each device manufactured so
yeah that won't work.

The names of standard distro files are hardcoded into the kernel
driver so it's also a kernel problem though :p

How about a custom devices tree property saying "needs-custom-firmware"?

Something that would prevent anything being loaded until user space
loads the firmware. It could also be set in the driver automatically
based on the compatible flag if we always want it enabled. And we could
have some cmdline option to ignore it. Or the other way around whatever
makes sense.

> Why can't you do something like this:
>
> * rename the NVS file linux-firmware to wl1251-nvs.bin.example

As that name is hardcoded in the kernel and that file is provided by
all standard distros, let's assume we just have to deal with that ABI
forever.

> * before distro updates linux-firmware create yours own deb/rpm/whatever
> package "wl1251-firmware" which installs your flavor of nvs file (or
> the user fallback helper if more dynamic functionality is preferred)

And that won't work when using the same file system on other machines.

Think NFSroot for example. At least I'm using the same NFSroot across
about 15 different machines including one n900 macro board with smc91x
Ethernet.

Regards,

Tony

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2017-01-31 17:00    [W:0.102 / U:2.800 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site