SubjectRe: DRM Atomic property for color-space conversion
On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 05:15:46PM +0200, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 12:33:29PM +0000, Brian Starkey wrote:
>> Hi,

>> >Having some RGB2RGB and YCBCR2RGB things in the same property seems
>> >weird. I would just go with something very simple like:
>> >
>> >YCBCR_TO_RGB_CSC:
>> >* BT.601
>> >* BT.709
>> >* custom matrix
>> >

>> I think we've agreed in #dri-devel that this CSC property
>> can't/shouldn't be mapped on-to the existing (hardware implementing
>> the) CTM property - even in the case of per-plane color management -
>> because CSC needs to be done before DEGAMMA.
>>
>> So, I'm in favour of going with what you suggested in the first place:
>>
>> A new YCBCR_TO_RGB_CSC property, enum type, with a list of fixed
>> conversions. I'd drop the custom matrix for now, as we'd need to add
>> another property to attach the custom matrix blob too.
>>
>> I still think we need a way to specify whether the source data range
>> is broadcast/full-range, so perhaps the enum list should be expanded
>> to all combinations of BT.601/BT.709 + broadcast/full-range.
>
>Sounds reasonable. Not that much full range YCbCr stuff out there
>perhaps. Well, apart from jpegs I suppose. But no harm in being able
>to deal with it.
>

>> (I'm not sure what the canonical naming for broadcast/full-range is,
>> we call them narrow and wide)
>
>We tend to call them full vs. limited range. That's how our
>"Broadcast RGB" property is defined as well.

OK, using the same ones sounds sensible.

>> >And trying to use the same thing for the crtc stuff is probably not
>> >going to end well. Like Daniel said we already have the
>> >'Broadcast RGB' property muddying the waters there, and that stuff
>> >also ties in with what colorspace we signal to the sink via
>> >infoframes/whatever the DP thing was called. So my gut feeling is
>> >that trying to use the same property everywhere will just end up
>> >messy.
>>
>> Yeah, agreed. If/when someone wants to add CSC on the output of a CRTC
>> (after GAMMA), we can add a new property.
>>
>> That makes me wonder about calling this one SOURCE_YCBCR_TO_RGB_CSC to
>> be explicit that it describes the source data. Then we can later add
>> SINK_RGB_TO_YCBCR_CSC, and it will be reasonably obvious that its
>> value describes the output data rather than the input data.
>
>Source and sink have a slight connotation in my mind wrt. the box that
>produces the display signal and the box that eats the signal. So trying
>to use the same terms to describe the internals of the pipeline inside
>the "source box" migth lead to some confusion. But we do probably need
>some decent names for these to make the layout of the pipeline clear.
>Input/output are the other names that popped to my mind but those aren't
>necessarily any better. But in the end I think I could live with whatever
>names we happen to pick, as long as we document the pipeline clearly.
>
>Long ago I did wonder if we should just start indexing these things
>somehow, and then just looking at the index should tell you the order
>of the operations. But we already have the ctm/gamma w/o any indexes so
>that idea probably isn't so great anymore.
>

>> I want to avoid confusion caused by ending up with two
>> {CS}_TO_{CS}_CSC properties, where one is describing the data to the
>> left of it, and the other describing the data to the right of it, with
>> no real way of telling which way around it is.
>
>Not really sure what you mean. It should always be
><left>_to_<right>_csc.

Agreed, left-to-right. But for instance on a CSC property representing
a CRTC output CSC (just before hitting the connector), which happens
to be converting RGB to YCbCr:

CRTC -> GAMMA -> RGB_TO_YCBCR_CSC

...the enum value "BT.601 Limited" means that the data on the *right*
of RGB_TO_YCBCR_CSC is "BT.601 Limited"

On the other hand for a CSC on the input of a plane, which happens to
be converting YCbCr to RGB:

RAM -> YCBCR_TO_RGB_CSC -> DEGAMMA

...the enum value "BT.601 Limited" means that the data on the *left*
of YCBCR_TO_RGB_CSC is "BT.601 Limited".

Indicating in the property name whether its value is describing the
data on the left or the right is needed (and I don't think inferring
that "it's always the YCBCR one" is the correct approach).

In my example above, "SOURCE_xxx" would mean the enum value is
describing the "source" data (i.e. the data on the left) and
"SINK_xxx" would mean the enum value is describing the "sink" data
(i.e. the data on the right). This doesn't necessarily need to infer a
particular point in the pipeline.

-Brian