SubjectRe: mm, vmscan: commit makes PAE kernel crash nightly (bisected)
On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 10:48:58AM +0000, Mel Gorman wrote:

> > > There was one major flaw in that patch. This version fixes it and
> > > addresses other minor issues. It may still be too agressive shrinking
> > > slab but worth trying out. Thanks.
> >
> > I ran with your patch below and it oom'd on the first night. It was
> > weird, it didn't hang the system, and my rebooter script started a
> > reboot but the system never got more than half down before it just sat
> > there in a weird state where a local console user could still login but
> > not much was working. So the patches don't seem to solve the problem.
> >
> > For the above compile I applied your patches to 4.10.0-rc4+, I hope
> > that's ok.
> >

> It would be strongly preferred to run them on top of Michal's other
> fixes. The main reason it's preferred is because this OOM differs from
> earlier ones in that it OOM killed from GFP_NOFS|__GFP_NOFAIL context.
> That meant that the slab shrinking could not happen from direct reclaim so
> the balancing from my patches would not occur. As Michal's other patches
> affect how kswapd behaves, it's important.
>
> Unfortunately, even that will be race prone for GFP_NOFS callers as
> they'll effectively be racing to see if kswapd or another direct
> reclaimer can reclaim before the OOM conditions are hit. It is by
> design, but it's apparent that a __GFP_NOFAIL request can trigger OOM
> relatively easily as it's not necessarily throttled or waiting on kswapd
> to complete any work. I'll keep thinking about it.

As a slight follow-up albeit without patches, further options are to;

1. In should_reclaim_retry, account for SLAB_RECLAIMABLE as available
pages when deciding to retry reclaim
2. Stall in should_reclaim_retry for __GFP_NOFAIL|__GFP_NOFS with a
comment stating that the intent is to allow kswapd make progress
with the shrinker
3. Stall __GFP_NOFS in direct reclaimer on a workqueue when it's
failing to make progress to allow kswapd to do some work. This
may be impaired if kswapd is locked up waiting for a lock held
by the direct reclaimer
4. Schedule the system workqueue to drain slab for
__GFP_NOFS|__GFP_NOFAIL.

3 and 4 are extremely heavy handed so we should try them one at a time.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2017-01-23 12:04    [W:0.125 / U:0.244 seconds]