SubjectRe: [RFC v4 0/6] CPU reclaiming for SCHED_DEADLINE
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 15:06:47 +0000
Juri Lelli <juri.lelli@arm.com> wrote:

> On 11/01/17 13:39, Luca Abeni wrote:
> > Hi Juri,
> > (I reply from my new email address)
> >
> > On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 12:19:51 +0000
> > Juri Lelli <juri.lelli@arm.com> wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > I tried to replicate Daniel's experiment, but I don't see such a
> > > skewed allocation. They get a reasonably uniform bandwidth and the
> > > trace looks fairly good as well (all processes get to run on the
> > > different processors at some time).
> >
> > With some effort, I replicated the issue noticed by Daniel... I
> > think it also depends on the CPU speed (and on good or bad luck :),
> > but the "unfair" CPU allocation can actually happen.
>
> Yeah, actual allocation in general varies. I guess the question is: do
> we care? We currently don't load balance considering utilizations,
> only dynamic deadlines matter.

Right... But the problem is that with the version of GRUB I proposed
this unfairness can result in some tasks receiving less CPU time than
the guaranteed amount (because some other tasks receive much more). I
think there are at least two possible ways to fix this (without
changing the migration strategy), and I am working on them...
(hopefully, I'll post something in next week)

> > > I was expecting that the task could consume 0.5 worth of bandwidth
> > > with the given global limit. Is the current behaviour intended?
> > >
> > > If we want to change this behaviour maybe something like the
> > > following might work?
> > >
> > > delta_exec = (delta * to_ratio((1ULL << 20) -
> > > rq->dl.non_deadline_bw, rq->dl.running_bw)) >> 20
> > My current patch does
> > (delta * rq->dl.running_bw * rq->dl.deadline_bw_inv) >> 20
> > to_ratio(global_rt_runtime(), global_rt_period()) >> 12;
> >
> > This seems to work fine, and should introduce less overhead than
> > to_ratio().
> >

> Sure, we don't want to do divisions if we can. Why the intermediate
> right shifts, though?

I wrote it like this to remember that ">> 20" comes from how
"to_ratio()" computes the utilization, and the additional ">> 8"
comes from the fact that deadline_bw_inv is shifted left by 8, to avoid
losing precision (I used 8 insted of 20 so that the computation can be
- hopefully - performed on 32 bits... Of course I can revise this if
needed).

If needed I can change the ">> 20 >> 8" in ">> 28", or remove the
">> 12" from the deadline_bw_inv conmputation (so that we can use
">> 40" or ">> 20 >> 20" in grub_reclaim()).

Thanks,
Luca

  Last update: 2017-01-11 22:18    [W:0.395 / U:0.132 seconds]