SubjectRe: [RFC] drm: Parse HDMI 2.0 YCbCr 4:2:0 VDB and VCB
On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 05:33:15PM +0200, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 12:26:53PM +0000, Jose Abreu wrote:
> > Hi Ville,
> >

> > On 10-01-2017 11:16, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> > > On Thu, Jan 05, 2017 at 02:46:06PM +0000, Jose Abreu wrote:
> > >>

> > [snip]

> > > I was asking if we can look at a specific modeline and whether we
> > > can tell from that if we would need to output it as 4:2:0.
> >
> > Hmm, according to HDMI 2.0 spec there are no 4:2:0 only modes and
> > the only way to figure out if the mode is 4:2:0 only (or able) is
> > to parse the VCB and VBD blocks from EDID. The clock is half rate
> > but this is the source that has to figure it out. The mode is
> > still passed in a regular way (By VIC, by timing, ...).

> > > Because it requires changing every single userspace kms client. And
> > > it's not something userspace should have to worry about.
> >
> > I agree but, as Daniel said [1], we could make these new HDMI 2.0
> > features optional and only pass them to userspace if client asked
> > for them. What do you think?
>
> Are you going to update all the userspace clients? Exposing HDMI 2.0
> modes only for your favorite client doesn't sound like a good plan to
> me.
>
> If we simply compute from a specific modeline whether it needs to be
> transmitted as 4:2:0, I suppose we could simply look for a matching
> mode in the 4:2:0 mode. But that would mean that only the exact modes
> listed by the EDID will work, and others might not.

OK, so the 4:2:0 support is apparently listed only for specific VICs.
Hence we will need to just go through those lists to see if we can
(or in fact must) use 4:2:0 for a specific user specified mode.

I would say the only slight question mark at this point is whether we
should favor 4:4:4 at lower bpc or 4:2:0 at higher bpc if we can choose
between the two. My first instinct is to favor the 4:4:4 modes for now.
We could add some knobs later to let the user make that choice.

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel OTC

  Last update: 2017-01-10 16:53    [W:0.119 / U:0.276 seconds]