SubjectRe: Observing Softlockup's while running heavy IOs
On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 6:54 PM, Neil Horman <nhorman@tuxdriver.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> # Linux Shell Scripting for Irq Balance Policy select for mpt3sas driver
>> #
>>
>> # Command Line Args
>> #IRQ_PATH -> PATH
>> #IRQ_NUMBER -> IRQ Number
>> declare -r IRQ_PATH=$1
>> declare -r IRQ_NUMBER=$2
>>
>> if [ -d /proc/irq/$IRQ_NUMBER ]; then
>> mpt3sas_irq=(`ls /proc/irq/$IRQ_NUMBER/ | grep mpt3sas | wc -l`)
>> if [ $mpt3sas_irq == 1 ]; then
>> echo "hintpolicy=subset"
>> echo "balance_level=cache"
>> fi
>> fi
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> But still I don't see any load shift happening between the CPUs and
>> still observing hardlockups.
>>
>> Here I have attached the irqbalance logs.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sreekanth
>
> Hey there-
> So, looking at your logs, your script is working correctly:
> Package 0: numa_node is 0 cpu mask is 0003f03f (load 0)
> Cache domain 0: numa_node is 0 cpu mask is 00001001 (load 0)
> CPU number 0 numa_node is 0 (load 0)
> Interrupt 150 node_num is 0 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 174 node_num is 0 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 198 node_num is 0 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 126 node_num is 0 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 102 node_num is 0 (ethernet/1)
> Interrupt 77 node_num is 0 (ethernet/1)
> CPU number 12 numa_node is 0 (load 0)
> Interrupt 138 node_num is 0 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 162 node_num is 0 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 186 node_num is 0 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 114 node_num is 0 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 90 node_num is 0 (ethernet/1)
> Interrupt 65 node_num is 0 (ethernet/1)
> Interrupt 51 node_num is -1 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 31 node_num is 0 (legacy/1)
> Package 1: numa_node is 0 cpu mask is 00fc0fc0 (load 0)
> Cache domain 6: numa_node is 0 cpu mask is 00040040 (load 0)
> CPU number 6 numa_node is 0 (load 0)
> Interrupt 149 node_num is 0 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 173 node_num is 0 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 197 node_num is 0 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 125 node_num is 0 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 101 node_num is 0 (ethernet/1)
> Interrupt 76 node_num is 0 (ethernet/1)
> CPU number 18 numa_node is 0 (load 0)
> Interrupt 137 node_num is 0 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 161 node_num is 0 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 185 node_num is 0 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 113 node_num is 0 (storage/1)
> Interrupt 89 node_num is 0 (ethernet/1)
> Interrupt 64 node_num is 0 (ethernet/1)
> Interrupt 50 node_num is -1 (storage/1)
>

> irqbalance correctly decided to balance irqs 50 and 51 to the cache level, which
> is good. The only other thing I would check though is the affinity_hint those
> irqs are exporting. With an affinity hint set to subset, if the exported hint
> only intersects the cache domain cpu set at one cpu, you will still only get
> affinity for that one cpu. You may want to consider changing the hintpolicy for
> those interrupts to ignore, to ensure that you have affinity for two cpus.

Hi Neil,

I changed the hint policy to ignore for these IRQs but still I observe
only one CPU
is busy with interrupt processing and eventually I am observe softlockups.

Thanks,
Sreekanth

> Beyond that though, the kernel is in control of irq delivery. Normally the
> configured hardware delivery policy is to select the highest priority cpu that
> isn't already servicing an interrupt (to maximize cache hit rates). If the irq
> rate is sufficiently slow however, it will always hit the same cpu, because it
> isn't blocked by another interrupt.
>
> Best
> Neil

  Last update: 2016-09-17 09:58    [W:0.108 / U:0.200 seconds]