SubjectRe: [LKP] [lkp] [xfs] 68a9f5e700: aim7.jobs-per-min -13.6% regression
Date
Mel Gorman <mgorman@techsingularity.net> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 09:32:58AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:

>> > This is another blunt-force patch that
>>
>> Sorry for taking so long to get back to this - had a bunch of other
>> stuff to do (e.g. XFS metadata CRCs have found their first compiler
>> bug) and haven't had to time test this.
>>

> No problem. Thanks for getting back to me.
>
>> The blunt force approach seems to work ok:
>>

> Ok, good to know. Unfortunately I found that it's not a universal win. For
> the swapping-to-fast-storage case (simulated with ramdisk), the batching is
> a bigger gain *except* in the single threaded case. Stalling kswap in the
> "blunt force approach" severely regressed a streaming anonymous reader
> for all thread counts so it's not the right answer.
>
> I'm working on a series during spare time that tries to balance all the
> issues for either swapcache and filecache on different workloads but right
> now, the complexity is high and it's still "win some, lose some".
>
> As an aside for the LKP people using ramdisk for swap -- ramdisk considers
> itself to be rotational storage. It takes the paths that are optimised to
> minimise seeks but it's quite slow. When tree_lock contention is reduced,
> workload is dominated by scan_swap_map. It's a one-line fix and I have
> a patch for it but it only really matters if ramdisk is being used as a
> simulator for swapping to fast storage.

We (LKP people) use drivers/nvdimm/pmem.c instead of drivers/block/brd.c
as ramdisk. Which considers itself to be non-rotational storage.

And we have a series to optimize other locks in the swap path too, for
example batching the swap space allocating and freeing, etc. If your
solution to optimize batching removing pages from the swap cache can be
merged, that will help us much!

Best Regards,
Huang, Ying

  Last update: 2016-09-17 09:58    [W:0.170 / U:0.552 seconds]