SubjectRe: Clarification for source code formatting around jump labels
On 09/04/2016 03:50 PM, SF Markus Elfring wrote:
>>> I am just curious on how much further software development "fun" the recent update
>>> by a topic like "CodingStyle: Clarify and complete chapter 7" will trigger.
>>
>> I don't want to drag this thread onwards for (way) too long, but clearly "it is
>> advised to indent labels with a single space (not tab)" (from diff in above commit)
>
> How do you think about the reason (which you omitted from your quotation) for this advice?
>
> “…,
> so that "diff -p" does not confuse labels with functions.
> …”

Yep, since this recently came up in a different thread as well, please
see here, for example:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/664966/

>> doesn't really reflect the majority of kernel practice we have in-tree today and
>> actually rather adds more confusion than any clarification whatsoever:
>>
>> $ git grep -n "^\ [a-z_]*:" -- '*.[ch]' | wc -l
>> 4919
>> $ git grep -n "^[a-z_]*:" -- '*.[ch]' | wc -l
>> 54686
>
> So there is a mixture already.

[...]
> In which ways would you prefer that the style specifications should be
> clarified further?
>
> Where should source code become more consistent?

It would likely make sense to document that git config mentioned in the
link above as a recommendation for that paragraph, and stick with what
is used in the vast majority of cases already, meaning no leading space
before labels.

  Last update: 2016-09-17 09:58    [W:0.476 / U:0.056 seconds]