SubjectRe: Block-level access
My access is almost purely sequential and primarily writing, so read-ahead
doesn't help me. What's problematic with pread/pwrite is the lack of error
channel from media errors.

BSG looks very interesting. I'll look further into that today.

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Bart Van Assche
<bart.vanassche@sandisk.com> wrote:
> On 09/01/2016 02:48 PM, Alex Austin wrote:
>>
>> CC'ing linux-scsi and linux-block.
>>
>> Also, please CC me in replies.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 4:43 PM, Alex Austin <aaustin@oceantechonline.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>> What is the most performant way to directly interface with an attached
>>> hard
>>> drive? I've so far used read()/write() on /dev/sd_ but I find error
>>> handling
>>> exceedingly difficult, as I don't always even get errors reported, even
>>> if the
>>> open() call includes O_DIRECT. I've also used ioctl(SG_IO), but find that

--
Intelligence is knowing that a tomoato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing
that it doesn't go in a fruit salad; charisma is selling a

  Last update: 2016-09-17 09:58    [W:0.052 / U:0.396 seconds]