SubjectRe: Build failure in -next due to 'kbuild: allow archs to select link dead code/data elimination'
On 09/12/2016 08:51 PM, Nicholas Piggin wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 20:17:30 -0700
> Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Nicholas,
>>
>> On 09/12/2016 07:00 PM, Nicholas Piggin wrote:

>>> It's not supposed to have any real effect unless the
>>> option is selected, but there are a few changes to linker
>>> script which must be causing it.
>>>
>>> There are two changes to vmlinux.lds.h. One is to KEEP a
>>> few input sections, that *should* be kept anyway. The other
>>> is to bring in additional sections into their correct output
>>> section.
>>>
>>> Could you try reverting those lines of vmlinux.lds.h that
>>> change the latter, i.e.:
>>>
>>> - *(.text.hot .text .text.fixup .text.unlikely) \
>>> + *(.text.hot .text .text.fixup .text.unlikely .text.*) \
>>
>> This is the culprit. After removing " .text.*" it builds fine.
>
> Thanks for testing it. Some architectures have .text.x sections
> not included here, I should have seen that. We should possibly
> just revert that line and require implementing archs to do the
> right thing.

I would call the build failure a regression, so it should either be
reverted, or we'll need some other solution to fix the build failure.

Thanks,
Guenter

> [ Convention is to use '.' to avoid C identifiers, so we should
> use .text..x for these things. But that's not done completely
> throughout the kernel, and a little invasive to do with this
> series. I'll revisit this and clean things up subsequently after
> this round gets merged. ]
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

  Last update: 2016-09-17 09:59    [W:0.057 / U:0.740 seconds]