SubjectRe: Kernel Freeze with American Megatrends BIOS
On 30 August 2016 at 18:37, Roland Singer <roland.singer@desertbit.com> wrote:
> I am running 4.7.2, but I also just tried the 4.8.0-rc4 mainline kernel.
> The result is the same. There is no difference if bbswitch of acpi_call
> is used. However I noticed following:
>
> 1. The nouveau driver is broken in both kernel version and is responsible
> for the freezes while gathering power state information with bbswitch.
> Sometimes while shutting the system down, everything except the LCD
> screen is switched off. This only happens with nouveau.
> I noticed following error log messages:

I second Ilia here. Using bbswitch in conjunction with any driver (be
that nouveau or the proprietary one) is a bad idea.

> kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: fb: 6144 MiB GDDR5
> kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: priv: HUB0: 10ecc0 ffffffff (1e40822c)
> kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: VRAM: 6144 MiB
> kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: GART: 1048576 MiB
> kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: Pointer to TMDS table invalid
> kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: DCB version 4.1
> kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: Pointer to flat panel table invalid
>
> 2. -> Boot with nouveau module loaded
> -> switch off the discrete GPU with bbswitch or acpi_call
> -> start X11
> -> obtaining power state with bbswitch freezes the system
> -> or working with the system for some minutes freezes the system

(If Ilia's suggestions does not help) Confirm if the freeze is due
to/as the GPU is powered on or off.

> 3. -> Boot with nouveau module blacklisted
> -> switch off the discrete GPU
> -> start X11
> -> system immediately freezes

It's perfectly possible that the discrete GPU is set as boot one and X
goes angry since there's no driver/way to bring it up.

> 4. -> Boot with nouveau module blacklisted
> -> switch off the discrete GPU
> -> start Wayland
> -> system runs - Note: I tried this for couple of days with 4.6 and 4.7 mainline
> and the system freezed randomly after some time.
> However I have to test if this is still present with 4.7.2
> and 4.8 mainline. Right now it seams to be fine.
> -> running Xwayland (does not depend on the GPU power state) kills performance!
> the system freezes for several seconds...
> So working with Wayland is also no solution.
>
> My conclusion:
>
> 1. Nouveau has couple of problems with GTX 9** M Nvidia GPUs.
> I would love to help here.
>
> 2. X11 is just broken and is not capable to start the graphical session
> if the nvidia GPU is not handled by any video driver (kernel module).
> Even forcing X11 to ignore the discrete GPU doesn't help.

Out of curiosity: how did you force X to ignore the device ?

> Setting the command line arguments to:
>
> acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2009"
>
> fixes the issues with X11 but other things break...
> What the hell is going on?! :/

You can check if it's the boot_vga assumption with

Check wh

You're a victum of the Windows specific fun (quirks?) in

> Am 30.08.2016 um 17:48 schrieb Emil Velikov:
>> On 30 August 2016 at 16:25, Roland Singer <roland.singer@desertbit.com> wrote:
>>> I tried these scenarios:
>>>
>>> 1. Booted the system without the bbswitch module. The nouveau module
>>> was loaded and is responsible for the power management of the GPU.
>>> The graphical session freezes after some minutes...
>>>
>>> 2. Booted the system without bbswitch and with nouveau blacklisted.
>>> Manually loaded bbswitch to switch off the discrete GPU.
>>> Same freeze after a while or by explicitly obtaining the GPU state.
>>>
>>> Is there a possibility to switch off the discrete card without bbswitch?
>>> If this is possible, then I could test this without nouveau and bbswitch
>>> at all. If the system hangs, then it is not the video driver nor bbswitch.
>>>
>> As Ilia mentioned acpi_call should do it. You can also check with the
>> nouveau/bbwswitch code to see which ones they use in your case and
>> bash it manually. It might be that the 'wrong one' gets used thus
>> things going horribly wrong.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Emil

  Last update: 2016-09-17 09:58    [W:0.092 / U:1.244 seconds]