SubjectRe: chipidea: udc: kernel panic in isr_setup_status_phase
On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 01:21:52AM +0800, Peter Chen wrote:
> The gadget triggers UI interrupt due to host sends packet.
>
> I really can't understand that, why host does not send bus reset
> before sending packet (eg, GET_DESCRIPTOR)? It violates USB spec.
>
> Are you sure the first interrupt is UI when the vbus from off to on?

Yes, if the error is present, the first interrupt is intr=0x1 (USBi_UI)
and then the NULL pointer dereference would occur.
(Also: Checking for ci->status == NULL and avoiding the dereference does
not make the gadget work. It just avoids the kernel panic.)

But I also observed a situation where the first interrupt is intr=0x100
(USBi_SLI) followed by 0x40 (USBi_URI), 0x4 (USBi_PCI) and three times
0x1 (USBi_UI).
After this "g_ether gadget: suspend" appears and the sequence repeats,
starting again with intr=0x100, followed by 0x40, ... until three times
0x1 and the g_ether gadget: suspend message.
On the host, every 500ms a new message with incrementing device number
appears:
usb 1-4: new high-speed USB device number 41 using xhci_hcd
usb 1-4: new high-speed USB device number 42 using xhci_hcd

In the case where everything works, it looks like this:
intr=0x100 (USBi_SLI)
intr=0x40 (USBi_URI)
intr=0x4 (USBi_PCI)
intr=0x1 (USBi_UI)
intr=0x1 (USBi_UI)
ci_hdrc ci_hdrc.0: freeing queued_request
intr=0x41 (USBi_URI + USBi_UI)
intr=0x4 (USBi_PCI)
intr=0x1 (USBi_UI) <-- appears 17 times
g_ether gadget: high-speed config #1: CDC Ethernet (EEM)
intr=0x1 (USBi_UI) <-- appears 5 times
IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): usb0: link becomes ready

--

Do you think this could be a hardware problem? We used the same method
as in the MCIMX6Q-SDB schematics (SPF-27516_C5.pdf) to avoid any current

Another possibility, I am investigating now, is a ground loop and a
main-supply voltage-dependency, although the whole USB OTG part is
on a completely different supply rail, the GNDs are shared.

I am investigating in all directions at the moment ;-)

--

I also switched to CDC/EEM to make sure it has nothing to do with RNDIS,
and the problem is still present. So the error must be on a lower level.

--

You could try to reproduce it with a MCIMX6Q-SDB and varying the main
supply voltage between minimum and maximum allowed voltage levels. For

Regards,
Clemens

  Last update: 2016-09-17 09:58    [W:0.348 / U:0.308 seconds]