SubjectRe: Problem with atomic accesses in pstore on some ARM CPUs
Date
On Monday, August 15, 2016 11:15:18 PM CEST Mark Rutland wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 08:02:53AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:

> > > In which case, why does it need to be mapped with weird attributes?
> > > Is there an alias in the linear map you can use?
> > >

> > I don't really _want_ to do anything besides using pstore as-is, or,
> > in other words, to have the upstream kernel work with the affected
> > systems.
> >
> > The current pstore code runs the following code for memory with
> > pfn_valid() = true.
> >
> > if (memtype)
> > prot = pgprot_noncached(PAGE_KERNEL);
> > else
> > prot = pgprot_writecombine(PAGE_KERNEL);
> > vaddr = vmap(pages, page_count, VM_MAP, prot);
> >
> > It then uses the memory pointed to by vaddr for atomic operations.
>
> This means that the generic ramoops / pstore code is making non-portable
> assumptions about memory types.
>
> So _something_ has to happen to that code.

If we have both a cacheable and a noncacheable mapping for the
same DRAM area, things get even worse across many architectures.

IIRC PowerPC will trigger a checkstop if it encounters a valid
cache line for a noncacheable mapping.

If there is only one mapping, this is not a problem, but we probably
want to avoid having a write-back cache here, in case something
serious goes wrong and all the cache is invalidated but the pstore
is used for post-mortem analysis.

Arnd

  Last update: 2016-09-17 09:57    [W:0.131 / U:0.272 seconds]