SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] git-series: track changes to a patch series over time
Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 07:55:54AM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> > Christian Couder <christian.couder@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm not convinced another format/standard is needed besides the
> > email workflow we already use for git and kernel development.
>
> Not all projects use a patches-by-email workflow, or want to. To the
> extent that tools and projects use some other workflow, standardizing
> the format they use to store patch reviews (including per-line
> annotations, approvals, test results, etc) seems preferable to having
> each tool use its own custom format.

I think standardizing on email conventions (such as what we
already do with format-patch, request-pull, S-o-b trailers) would
be a step in this direction and a good step to take.

But yeah, I also hope git adopters can somehow be convinced to
also adopt the workflow that built git itself.

> > I also see the reliance on an after-the-fact search engine
> > (which can be tuned/replaced) as philosophically inline with
> > what git does, too, such as not having rename tracking and
> > doing delayed deltafication.
>
> Storing review data in git doesn't mean it needs to end up in the
> history of the project itself; it can use after-the-fact annotations on
> a commit.

Right. So on public-inbox.org/git today, one could search for
after-the-fact annotations based on commit titles and maybe
exact commit ID matches.

A future goal might be to get search indexing working on commit
ID substrings. So finding references to commit
deadbeefcafe01234567890123467890abcdef00 could be done by
searching for "commit deadbeefcafe" or even a shorter ID, and
the following results could still be returned:

1. commit deadbeefcafe broke my cat feeder
2. commit deadbeef killed my cow

> > Email also has the advantage of having existing tooling, and
> > being (at least for now) federated without a single point of
> > failure.
>
> Storing review data in git makes it easy to push and pull it, which can
> provide the basis for a federated system.

Every public-inbox exposed over HTTP(S) is git clonable[1], so
it's possible to push/pull or have developers merge/combine
inboxes with index-only operations. There's no UI for that,
yet, and having a working tree checked out is inefficient with
300K uncompressed mails...

But there needs to be way to message others about the existence
of new pushes/pull-requests/reviews/etc; including users
unable to clone or host 800M git repos; so that messaging
system might as well be email.

[1] git clone --mirror https://public-inbox.org/git/
That's not efficient, yet, though, at around 800M when the
gzipped fast-export dump is around half that:
https://public-inbox.org/git/20160710034745.GA20270@dcvr.yhbt.net/T/#u

  Last update: 2016-08-02 00:01    [W:2.233 / U:0.220 seconds]