SubjectRe: [RFC v0 7/8] Input: ims-pcu: use firmware_stat instead of completion
On 07/31/2016 09:23 AM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On July 30, 2016 9:58:17 AM PDT, "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@kernel.org> wrote:

>>> + Luis (again) ;-)

That was not on purpose :) My attempt to keep the Cc list a bit shorter
was a failure.

>>> Excellent. Why not get rid of the callback function as well and have
>>> fw_loading_wait() return result (0 = firmware available, < 0 = fail).
>>> Just to confirm, you are proposing a new API function next to
>>> request_firmware_nowait(), right?
>>
>> If proposing new firmware_class patches please bounce / Cc me, I've
>> recently asked for me to be added to MAINTAINERS so I get these
>> e-mails as I'm working on a new flexible API which would allow us
>> to extend the firmware API without having to care about the old
>> stupid usermode helper at all.

These patches here are a first attempt to clean up a bit of the code
around the completion API. As Dmitry correctly pointed out, it makes
more sense to go bit further and make the async loading a bit more
convenient for the drivers.

> I am not sure why we started calling usermode helper "stupid". We
> only had to implement direct kernel firmware loading because udev/stsremd
> folks had "interesting" ideas how events should be handled; but having
> userspace to feed us data is not stupid.

I was ignorant on all the nasty details around the firmware loading. If
I parse Luis' patches correctly they introduce an API which calls
kernel_read_file_from_path() asynchronously:

sysdata_file_request_async(..., &cookie)
*coookie = async_schedule_domain(request_sysdata_file_work_func(), ..)

request_sysdata_file_work_fun()
_sysdata_file_request()
fw_get_filesystem_firmware()
kernel_read_file_from_path()

sysdata_synchronize_request(&cookie);

Doesn't look like what your asking for.

> If we want to overhaul firmware loading support we need to figure
> out how to support case when a driver want to [asynchronously] request
> firmware/config/blob and the rest of the system is not ready. Even if we
> want kernel to do read/load the data we need userspace to tell kernel
> when firmware partition is available, until then the kernel should not
> fail the request.

I gather from Luis' blog post and comments that he is on the quest on
removing userspace support completely.

Maybe this attempt here could be a step before. Step 1 would be changing
request_firmware_nowait() to request_firmware_async so drivers don't
have to come up with their own sync primitives, e.g.

cookie = request_firmware_async()
fw_load_wait(cookie)

Step 2 could be something more towards sysdata approach.

cheers,
daniel

  Last update: 2016-08-01 15:21    [W:0.177 / U:0.768 seconds]